Breast Augmentation. How many cc should I get for a full D cup? I'm currently a 36B (Photo)

Hi, I'm 5'4 168 and I'm getting a BA soon.. I'm trying to decide how many cc's should I get to get to a full D cup I'm currently a 36B my doctor said we are doing HP silicone unders.. I'm thinking between 400cc and 450cc. I have been hearing that if you go under the muscle you lose volume... just trying to get answers from all angles before I make my final decision. Thank you in advance

How many cc should I get for a full D cup?

Implant size is very much an art with experience. There are many implant choices and techniques which can get you into the size and look you wish for. An implant under the muscle will not lose volume, but submuscular pockets do influence the breast shape. The correct approach is to let your surgeon know what you wish to look like with a clear discussion, photos, trial bras. The look will matter to you, the number will not.

How many cc should I get for a full D cup? I'm currently a 36B

Hi Nisha,

The most important thing when sizing my patients is that I do not like to talk about cup size, but more about the look they are seeking. I use the Mentor sizing kit which has been very useful in figuring this out. My patients put on a sports bra and put in the sizers, which are shaped a little differently than the final implants and are meant to mimic how someone will look after augmentation. Looking in the mirror they can choose with certainty the size they want based on how they look. Another option is your doctor may have some other type of imaging which will help to give you an idea about how you will look with a particular implant size. Regarding under the muscle if you elevate more tissue up and place an implant under it then the overall volume will actually be more than over the muscle.  Best of luck with your surgery.

Dr. Basile

Patrick L. Basile, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Good question.

The answer is more complicated than your question. Don't focus on the number of cc's. There are multiple variables including your breast dimensions and multiple implant options. Discuss your preferred final appearance with your surgeon using pictures. Good luck.

Ram Kalus, MD
Mount Pleasant Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation. How many cc should I get for a full D cup? I'm currently a 36B

Thank you for your question.  Your implant size should be based on the measurement of the base width of your breast.  Generally speaking it takes 150-200 cc of implant to increase you by a cup size in the same style and manufacture of bra that you currently wear. You do have ptosis or sagging and if the nipple is below the fold underneath her breast you may need a lift as well.  For more information please read the link below:

Based on your photos I think under the muscle is a good choice and the sizes you mentioned should get you close to your goals. Your shape will change over time as the muscle relaxes 

David R. Alfonso, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and photographs.  Breast implant selection is an exciting, but stressful part of the breast augmentation process as there are so many choices. Unfortunately it is impossible to recommend the best implant style, size or shape without an in-person examination that allows for the measurement of key breast parameters, as well as permits an in-depth discussion as to your desired goals and outcome. This is because there is no good correlation between a woman's cup size and implant cc amount.  I would recommend seeing an ASPS board certified plastic surgeon, they are in the best position to ensure that the implants the two of your decide upon are the right ones to meet your expectations.  It sounds as if it may be wise for you to "try on" several of the implants so that you can have a better visual representation as to what they would look like.  Best wishes!

Cup size and implants volumes

Implant volumes do not correlate to specific cup sizes. You are best to be seen in person to be properly evaluated.

Breast Augmentation w/Breast Lift candidate:

Thank you very much for enquire.
After having analyzed all the information and photos provided to us, I realize that you have very sagging and small breasts. In this regard, you need volume (implants) and projection (the lift): Breast Augmentation w/Breast Lift.
I recommend you to use microtexturized highly cohesive silicon implant ("gummy bear" implants), with high projection, and 450ml will be excelent on you, to fill the breasts properly.
Finally, to perform the breast lift I recommend a Periareolar Round Block Breast Lift ("Benelli mastopexy"), which has an unnoticed scar around the areola, and if we see (in the surgery) that we can't obtain adecuate projection just with the Benelli Lift, we have to perform a "Lollipop breast lift".
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Breast Augmentation. How many cc should I get for a full D cup

The best cosmetic result in any particular breast augmentation patient depends on a variety of factors, including: Your individual anatomy, desired outcome, realistic expectations, a thorough discussion with the plastic surgeon about the options, and an understanding of the pros and cons of any particular implant choice. Proper sizing is not just about the number of cc’s. The thickness of your tissue, breast dimensions which include the width, height, and projection, as well as chest wall width all need to be considered when choosing an implant. Trying on implant “sizers” of various shapes and volumes while wearing a tight t-shirt, bra, or bathing sit at a preoperative visit will help you and your surgeon choose the optimal implant.

There are no manufacturers' standards for cup sizing in the bra industry. The cups of a 36 D and a 40 D are significantly different. Cup size varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and even within styles from any particular manufacturer. Nor is there a direct correlation between implant shape or size and cup size.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest that your plastic surgeon be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. 

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Size and shape of breasts can often play a critical role in a woman’s self-esteem. Fuller and bigger breasts are often associated with reproducibility therefore it is a desired condition. There are different kinds of breast augmentation operation types. Breast augmentation can be performed either with breast implants or autologous fat transfer. There are also different types of breast implants like teardrop or round implants. These implants also can be placed under or above the muscle. As you can imagine there are several different options for breast augmentation. The best way to understand which one is more suitable for you is to get a physical examination by a plastic surgeon.

It is important for you to understand that you don’t always need a breast implant for breast augmentation. As it was also mentioned above you can also get bigger and natural breasts with Cihantimur Fat Transfer method. In this method we use own fat tissue of the patient in order to increase the size of the breast. Since this tissue is your own tissue there is no risk for any adverse effects. It is safe and fast operation that yields natural results without any incision.