My right breast is naturally lower than the left. Is there a big difference. Should I go back to my PS? (photo)

My BA redo was in April. After the first month or so my right breast was lower. It has stayed that way. My plastic surgeon mentioned it each visit until I was cleared at my 3 month post op. It doesn't bother me too much. I have no issues like scar tissue or pain. It is just noticeably different. My right breast is naturally lower than the left. Is there a big difference. Should I go back to my PS? I really don't want to redo again.

My right breast is naturally lower than the left. Is there a big difference. Should I go back to my PS?

Your result looks very good and I am assuming that the right breast was lower preop.  It is important to understand that 80% at women have asymmetrical breasts and the degree of asymmetry is normal.  The only way to change the symmetry would be to do a surgical lift of the right breast which will add scarring and which I do not recommend.

Slight Asymmetry

Asymmetries are quite common and you appear to have started with one breast and one nipple a little lower. This means that the implant being centered behind the nipple would sit a bit lower still after surgery. If both breasts are soft and free of discomfort then you have healed and settled well. If you can accept the difference that you have there is no reason to have another surgery. Attempting to make a small change and attain perfect balance may not be possible or worth the trouble for you. I recommend that you discuss further in person with your Plastic Surgeon if you decide to make changes.
All the best

Post op aug

as you said your right breast was lower to start. they are sisters not twins. creating symmetry would create scarsw that you may not like. they are attractive; leave them alone

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry

Breasts are all different and no two are exactly the same. Trying to "tweak" one to make it look more like the other would require more scars and slight lift.  It is up to you.

Breast Asymmetry

I appreciate your concern but as you stated, breasts are almost always asymmetric.  The only way to get your right breast/nipple to be at the same height as your left would be to do a lift on the right breast.  In my opinion, the scar from the lift would not be worth the trade off for more perfect symmetry.  Again, this is just personal opinion and if the minor asymmetry bothers you enough to be worth a scar around your right areola, then that is a choice only you can make.

Julian Gordon, MD

Back to PS?

As you point out, breasts are not perfectly symmetric naturally, so they will not be perfectly symmetric after breast augmentation (although as plastic surgeons we try to get them as close as we can).  It really depends on how much the subtle asymmetry is bothering you.  If it's not really bothersome to you and you don't want to undergo the risks of another surgery for a potential correction, then there's no reason to proceed with another operation.  If it does become bothersome, then a conversation with your plastic surgeon about the options can always be held.

Dr. Dan Krochmal
MAE Plastic Surgery
Northbrook, IL

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph.  All women have some natural degree of asymmetry between their breasts but I think you have obtained a nice outcome.  As you have been healing well from your revision surgery allow yourself at least 6 months of recovery and then reassess your results to see if your breast differences warrant another procedure.  Best wishes.

If it doesn't bother you, there's no need to have a redo. You mention that your right breast is naturally lower than your left...just remember that no two breasts ever look the same! Also, your preop asymmetries tend to remain after augmentation. Hope this helps!

No two breasts are perfectly symmetric.  If your right breast was always a little lower than the left, it is common to have it stay that way after your operation.  This is a slight difference and if it doesn't bother you, then you should not get another operation.

Tyler C. Street, MD
Napa Plastic Surgeon

Capsular contracture

This sounds like capsular contracture.  There are multiple factors that contribute to the development of capsular contracture.  These include bleeding, bacteria on the surface of the implants, powder from gloves, fibers from the gauze or drapes, patient factors.  We control all the variables that can be controlled.  We use the no touch technique to handle the implants.  We employ implant massage after surgery.  We use prostaglandin inhibitors if necessary.  There is evidence that hyperbaric oxygen can be helpful.  Silicone that bleeds causes capsular contrature that increases over time:  this is one of the reasons I prefer saline implants.