Going bra-less following breast augmentation.

I am 5'2 and about 120lb with a very athletic build. I will be getting 450cc round saline mod-profile implants above the muscle this spring and am extremely excited!! I current go bra-less basically every day and am wondering if I can continue to do this following my procedure (not necessarily right after surgery but once they have fully healed). My fear is that my implants will sag if they are not constantly supported. Thank you so much!

Thank you for sharing your question and congratulations on your upcoming augmentation.  Though each surgeon will have their own protocol after surgery I stress to women that it is important to continue to use a bra to support your implants and breast tissue to avoid sagging on a long-term basis.  Once fully healed from your procedure you will be able to go without a bra for periods of time, but with the additional weight of the implants on your breast tissue eventually you will see that they will cause some breast sagging.  Hope this helps.

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast augmentation surgery. Make sure  they have carefully considered the pros/cons associated with sub muscular versus sub glandular breast implant positioning.  This may be especially true for a patient with an athletic build without significant body fat composition… You will find a lot of information about this topic on this website.

Generally speaking, there is no “standard” when it comes to the use of specific bras or garments after breast surgery. In other words, different plastic surgeons may have different practices when it comes to postoperative dressings/bras. 

In my practice, patients wake up with a surgical bra in place. This surgical bra, although not attractive, is supportive and used for about one month after surgery (some of my patients have been known to burn the bra ASAP). Then, patients transition to a soft sports bra. Wired bras are used when breast have reached their “final position” and patients have full sensation along the breast skin. 

Generally, the longer I have been in practice, the more I appreciate the long term use of supportive bras after all types of breast surgery.  This additional support may be especially helpful when patients are lying down and/or engaged in strenuous exercise. 

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Bra

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your upcoming surgery.  I recommend the use of a properly fitted support bra for at least 6 weeks following surgery. This will help decrease the length and severity of the post-operative swelling.   Please follow your plastic surgeons specific advice regarding your level of physical activity. Hope this helps and good luck with your surgery.

Breast augmentation and the use of a bra post op

Thank you for your question. Every surgeon will have his/her own preferences as to recovery for specific procedures.  I have patients wear a soft bra after breast augmentation for a few weeks to splint everything, and at that point the scars are generally very stable and we move to normal bras (or none) and long term scar management. The best person to advise you on this is your specific surgeon.  

How do breasts sag?

Breast sag from the constant pull of gravity that eventually breaks down the support ligaments and stretches the breast skin. The larger the breast and the greater the breast weight, the faster the tissues will wear out. Preventing gravittational effects will keep your breasts perkier. You will want to wear a bra most of the time following your surgery to support the breast tissue and slow down the aging that naturally occurs. Reserve the bra-less days for special occasions. 

Sheldon Lincenberg, MD

Bras after Breast Augmentation?

Thank you for your question.  What you will find is that there is really no universal standard among plastic surgeons with regards to the use of compression garments, such as sports bras, following a breast augmentation procedure.  In my practice, I request that my patients wear a light weight compression sports bra for the first four weeks for support purposes, after which time patients can begin to transition into another bra of their choosing.  Other surgeons, however, may not have these same recommendations.  

If long term breast sag or ptosis is of special concern to you, I would also recommend discussing the choice of placing your implants sub-glanduar as opposed to sub-pectoral pocket with your surgeon.  I find it important to discuss the pros and cons of implants in either position with my patients, and this is most significant when patients are most interested in sub-glanduar placed implants.  I hope you find this helpful and I wish you the best.

Going bra-less following breast augmentation

I concur with much of the Surgeons comments below. First off, 450cc for 5'2" and 120 pound athletic build sounds pretty excessive in my opinion. Not to mention putting this size saline implant above the muscle will almost surely leave you with a more obvious looking breast augmentation and rippling down the road. The weight of these implants over the muscle and in the breasts will have more tendency to sag over time and even more if not supported. Maybe a second consult wouldn't be a bad idea ??

Sam Gershenbaum, DO
Aventura Plastic Surgeon

Going bra-less following breast augmentation?

You should definitely discuss this with your surgeon before the procedure. As surgeons, we all have different ways of doing things. It is important that you and your surgeon are on the same page in order to get the best results and enjoy the smoothest recovery after surgery.

Bra or no bra

Every surgeon is a bit different in terms of care. You are best to ask your surgeon.  If you get decent sized implants your breast will be heavier and going braless may not be advisable.

Bra-less following breast augmentation.

In general yes, you can go without a bra after breast augmentation, though for most the support early on will make the recovery a bit more comfortable. As a caution, a large saline implant subglandular will be prone to ripple.