Do you think Botox is just not the thing for me? (Photo)

This is my second time receiving Botox in my forehead area. My eyelids and my eyebrows drop so much that I have an angry look. May be Botox is not for me? May be something else would work better to treat wrinkles on my forehead without an eyebrow drop..?

Do you think Botox is just not the thing for me?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph and I am sorry that your Botox results have not been what you anticipated.  I would advocate sticking with Botox as it appears that you receive a nice result from treatment but perhaps try another injector who may have a better technique to prevent your brow from drooping. This may entail treating the area between the eyes, the crow's feet, lowering the dose or changing the forehead injection pattern, or adding a chemical brow lift to help your results.  Hope this helps.

Botox and Droop

It appears that the Botox may have been placed too low with too many units in the forehead and that is why there is a small droop. Please consult an expert so that the Botox does not appear so heavy.  Best, Dr. Green

The forehead and glabellar region have muscles that counteract each other. The forehead muscles elevate the brows while the muscles above and between your eyes (glabellar region: procerus and corrugators) depress your brow. ("11's" or angry look.) These two groups of muscles balance each other. The amount of Botox injected into the forehead can weaken the frontalis muscle too much and therefore drop the brow, since you did not inject the glabellar area. The eyelid dropping can be the result of an injection that is too low that results in ptosis. You have to determine if this is a true eyelid drop or just the forehead droop making the eyes appear smaller. Options are to reduce the dosing on the forehead, however you still may have some wrinkles, or treat the glabellar region simultaneously to counter balance the overall effect. You can opt to have the glabella injected now or wait until your forehead botox wears off. Thanks for your question.

Rikesh T. Parikh, MD
Bellevue General Surgeon

Botox and Eyebrow Drop

Because Botox blocks the nerves that contracts the forehead, having some eyebrow lowering is normal. Most often it is minimal. However, if it is more significant or you don't like the look, then I would not use Botox for further treatments. Looking at your photo, it appears that most of the drop is in the center. If you do Botox again, talk to your doctor about putting less in the center and more towards the outside.

There are not a lot of Botox alternatives in the forehead. Fillers are often visible in the forehead. You can tighten the forehead with a brow lift. However, this is a surgical procedure with down time, etc. 

Hello Moshka81,

If your brows are naturally in a very low position, and you are using your forehead muscle to pull them up, the Botox will tend to cause your brows to stay low.  You can get around this by injecting high on your forehead, but this would still leave wrinkles lower down on the forehead.  You can help with the wrinkles in the middle of the forehead by treating the area between the eyes with a low dose.  If you treat that area with too much allowing no motion then you may end up with the spock or mephisto look, so you need to be careful.

I'd recommend you consult with a core aesthetic physician injector (facial plastic surgery, plastic surgery, dermatology) to assess your muscles and determine if you are a good candidate for future Botox injections. 

I hope this helps and good luck. 

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox in the Forehead

Thanks for your question!  When you treat the forehead alone, it is not uncommon to have the unwanted brow drop.  To combat this, I would recommend injections in other places like the crow's feet and the glabella (or the 11's).  This can help stabilize the brow position.  Don't give up on Botox!  Hang in there!

The traditional injection pattern between the eyebrows is to inject in a "V" fashion. This usually causes the inner eyebrows to droop, giving you the BOTOX look as seen in your picture. By staying more in the middle, the brows should lift and make the eye look more open. I train doctors and nurses from around the world on how to use botulinum toxins and fillers. This is most likely simply refining your pattern.

Brian Maloney, MD, FACS
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox works by blocking the signals from the nerves to the muscles. The injected muscles can no longer contract, which causes the wrinkles to relax and soften. It all depends on the expertise of the injector.  By relaxing the right muscles instead of the wrong ones, you can actually get a lift.  It is important to go to an experience injector.  Injections in the brow (area between eyes) as well as lateral brow (crow’s feet area), can actually open the eyes up.

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Is Botox the right thing for you

Botox may or may not be the right thing for you. Your dermatologist can tell you which is the case. If you have had an issue with eyelid or eyebrow heaviness, then you want to ensure a low dose is injected (e.g. 6 units) and kept to the upper 1/3 of your forehead. If somehow this low dose also gives you a feeling of heaviness, then Botox in the upper forehead for the horizontal lines is not for you.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Medial eyebrow drop with Botox

This is a problem with some patients and needs an experienced injector to recognize this. Injections have to be modified somewhat in your case. There are no alternatives but if done correctly with injection of the depressor supercilii, you should do better. Perhaps slightly less Botox in the forehead is needed as well. A before picture would also be helpful as well as one with movement. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD