Botox a week ago. Exterior lids are saggy. Is there anything I can do? Why didn't it lift? (Photo)

I got botox a week ago to lift my lids. It lifted in the middle but the outter edges are sagging worse. Is there anything else I can do?

Sagging eyelids after Botox

It can take up to 2 weeks for Botox to reach it full effect, so you may want to wait to see if it will improve. If the situation remains the same, you could try to improve it by adding Botox to the tail of the eyebrow or by placing some filler around the eyebrow. Good luck.

Livingston Physician

Botox for the brows

Thank you for your question kmp1234. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expressions. It is difficult to assess an after photograph without a before photograph with which to compare it. Placement of Botox around the eyebrows is critical because it can either lead to lifting or drooping of the brow, depending on the placement and dose. Please follow up with your doctor for specific recommendations.  Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Eyebrow sagging after Botox

This is all related to placement and dose of the Botox. If too much is used or if the injections are too low or lateral, you will get this. Sometimes further Botox in the lateral orbital area and brow can help this problem. It it doesn't, this should resolve in about 4-6 weeks. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Botox a week ago. Exterior lids are saggy. Is there anything I can do? Why didn't it lift?

Hello, and thanks for your question and photo. I'm sorry you did not get the result you had hoped for. Botox results peak around 2 weeks, so you may notice your result changing somewhat over the next week. If the outer aspect of your brow has dropped, then you either had two much Botox or it was poorly placed. The good news is that this will wear off over the next few months. I recommend trying a different injector, or trying to make sure your injector understands your aesthetic goals. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Browlift with Botox

Botox can help lift brows in some patients, but not in all patients. If the muscle that pulls the brow down does not have tension in it naturally, then Botoxing that muscle will not help lift the brow. So, some get an improvement and others get nothing. The good news is that even if you don't get a brow lift, you still get the improvement in the crows feet or glabellar lines from the Botox. Also, I have seen MANY patients get Botox for a "lift" only to find out the Botox was placed ABOVE the brow. That will NOT help lift the brow. Only placing Botox below the brow will help lift a brow. 

Andrew Campbell, M.D.

Quintessa Aesthetic Centers

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and eyebrows

you got injected to produce an arch for the eyebrows and not to elevate the lateral aspects so be sure you tell your doctor exactly what you want so it can be done. Be sure you are seeing a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Brow droop after Botox

This most often happens when the forehead is treated. Consult with your provider about placing additional units in the region of the tail of the brow, as this will lift. 

If you do nothing, it still often lightens up in about 2-3 weeks.

Lisa Vuich, MD

Lisa Vuich, MD
Nashua Physician

Botox Sagging Exterior Lids

Thanks for your question, but it is early and may improve.  Maximal botox results occur at 14 days after injection.  Prior to this time, you may notice some swelling as your face gets used to the botox.  However, after 14 days and your are still having problems, please see your injector.  It maybe easily fixed by adding more botox.  Even it was due to too much botox in the outer forehead, an experienced injector can help lift the "exterior lids" with filler.  Good luck.

Paul E. Goco, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph and I am sorry that your results have not been what you anticipated.  At a week out from injections botox onset can often be delayed and lead to some temporary asymmetry.  I would first recommend allowing your botox treatment results to fully mature over another week's time to see what your long-term appearance will be. If your lift was still not successful, you can consider additional Botox into the outer aspect of your eyebrow and crow's feet to achieve your desired look.  Best wishes. 

Botox Complication

You have complication from your treatment. It seems the botox has migrated to an unintended area and caused sagging. This will get better with time as the treatment wears off. The iopidine often times can help.  What also may help is to try to keep using the muscle that has weakened. If you keep trying to use that muscle, the Botox may wear out quicker.  Hope you get better soon!

Javad Sajan, MD

Javad Sajan, MD
Seattle Physician