BA 2 weeks post op became infected. Is my treatment OK?

2 wks post op went to er with excruciating pain. White blood count elavated. Saw ps next day he gave me antibiotic. He called to check on me 4 days later. At this time large amounts of drainage from a pin size hole on incision. Saw ps same day,sunday, he applied pressure and got alot of infection to come out. Emergency surgery next morning cleand tissue with antibiotic solution replaced implant with new one. 6 days no pain but is this right? What do I need to look for in the event the infection returns?

Breast implant infection after breast augmentation

Thanks for posting your question. I am happy to try and help you. I am sorry to learn about your problem.
You really should return to the PS and you need to be followed very closely. Breast implant infections are nothing to take lightly.

You are probably on good antibiotics but may need IV antibiotics. Hopefully the surgery and infection protocol your PS used will work for you.

Keep seeing your PS to followed closely.

Post op infection

Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I recommend that you continue to follow up closely with your Plastic Surgeon and follow all instructions carefully. Let them know right away if you have concerns/returning symptoms.

Take care

Infection risks

Post operative infection, following implants is a difficult but thankfully unusual complication.  It appears that your surgeon has approached your treatment in such a way as to be able to hopefully salvage the situation.  Obviously, if your infection recurs, you will have to have that implant out, for at least 3 months, and then can have it replaced.  If you don't recur, you may still be at risk for capsular contracture, as that implant pocket may scar more due to the infection and repeat surgery.  Your surgeon seems to be on top of the situation and will follow you through this difficult time.

John Dean, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant infection

Hi, sambino.  Sorry about your complication.  If an infection is caught early, aggressive antibiotic treatment, wash-out, and implant exchange may salvage your breast augmentation.  However, if the infection returns, you will most likely need explantation of the implant.  Please follow up with your plastic surgeon closely.  Best wishes.

Infected breast implant

If you develop symptoms of a recurrent infection which would include swelling, redness, warmth, fever, elevated white blood cell count then the implant will need to be removed.  In most cases the implant is removed for 3 - 4 months before a re-operation can be attempted.  

Breast Implant Infection and Course of Action

You have been through a rough two weeks but the course of action you have described is consistent with existing treatment standards for infected breast implants.  Short-term (next 1-3 weeks), there is a risk of recurrent infection.  If this unfortunate scenario should play out, you will have a recurrence of your symptoms with pain, redness, fevers, and possibly drainage.  

Wishing you the best outcome.

Chen Lee, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Infection

Thank you for your question.  It sounds like your treatment was appropriate.  In the short term, you will need to monitor your breast closely for any signs of infection.  Unfortunately, you are at increased risk of developing capsular contracture in the future.  Continue to monitor your breasts for increased firmness and pain.  Best of Luck.

Dr. Smith

Aaron D. Smith, MD
Colorado Springs Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  I am sorry to hear about your breast augmentation infection, but happy to hear that you are now doing better.  It is important that you keep a close eye on the previously infected breast in order to catch any recurrence early.  Signs to look out for include constitutional symptoms, such as fevers, chills, nausea, and feeling fatigued.  Specific breast symptoms include spreading redness from the incision site, increased breast swelling, tenderness, and warmth, and any drainage that is thick and white, or smells foul.  Hope that this helps.

Breast infection

I appreciate your question and am sorry that happened to you.

Since you have been through this, you already know what to look for.
Any sudden changes immediately seek medical attention.

The best way to assess and give true advice would an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Breast infection 2 weeks after augmentation.

It seems that the  right course of action was taken and you are on the mend.
Since you fear a recurrent infection watch for the cardinal signs of redness with increased local pain swelling and warmth on touch.