Do I need an arm lift or lipo of the arm? (Photo)

Hi, I am trying to my best not to get an arm lift. Can I ask any ps if I am a good candidate for arm lipo instead? I have enclosed a close up picture.

Consult a board-certified plastic surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It’s hard to tell just by looking at your photo. However, it seems that we can try liposuction first if you have enough skin elasticity. Arm lift focuses more on getting rid of excess loose skin.

The best thing to do is to consult a board-certified and reputable plastic surgeon for a proper evalution of your needs.

Do I need an arm lift or lipo of the arm?

Thank you for your question. Judging solely from your pictures, it is difficult to make a recommendation.  Improvement of the appearance of your arms is dependent on your skin quality.  If excess fat and minimal excess skin is present, liposuction alone may be an option.  This not the case for most people.  Depending on the amount of excess skin will depend on what scar will be appropriate.  My advice is to schedule a consultation with a specialist plastic surgeon. They will be able to examine you and after assessing your needs, recommend the best option for the best results. Good luck!

Options regarding arm lift vs liposuction

Thanks for your question!  There are two issues to discuss with you regarding arm lift vs. liposuction: first, whether there is already loose skin present or just extra adipose tissue; and second, how elastic or resilient your skin is, which can be determined by the presence of stretch marks. 

Younger people tend to have more elastic skin, so that if this is just extra adipose tissue, liposuction with postop compression garments may contour your arms to your desired goal.  However, already having loose skin or stretch marks may result in even more loose skin after liposuction; at that point you may need to consider brachioplasty (arm lift), which may be done at the time of liposuction or staged later, usually 3-6 months after the first procedure.  Good luck! 

Deepak K. Naidu, MD

Arm lift versus lipo

Hello and thank you for your excellent question. You are a great candidate for contouring of the arm, either via an arm lift or just liposuction. I think that you will have good results with liposuction alone, but your best results will be a full arm lift. However, if you understand the trade-offs, liposuction alone is certainly a good option. Of course, you will need an in-person consultation to evaluate you for this procedure. Preoperative visualization and surgical simulation with the Crisalix system may help with your decision. Any treatment plan should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.    Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation in person with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon. 

Good luck! 

Jon Ver Halen, MD FACS 

Harvard educated plastic surgeon

Arm Lift or Lipo

This is a good question. 

An arm lift (called a brachioplasty) is a surgical procedure which can correct loose skin that sags as well as removal of excess fat in the upper arm.  Liposuction can be appropriate for excess fat in the upper arms but will not address loose skin. Sometimes, depending on skin quality and with minimal skin laxity, the skin can retract enough that patients are vey satisfied with the cosmetic outcomes. 

My advice would be to have a consultation with a plastic surgeon so that an examination can determine which procedure would be best for you. Since you have stated that you don't necessarily want an arm lift, then I do not think its unreasonable to have liposuction since elasticity of skin can be on your side and the procedure can get rid of your excess fat. 

Dr. Suzette Miranda 

Suzette Miranda, MD
Seattle Physician

Combination

In my opinion you will need liposuction and a short armpit scar skin excision as well to get the maximum result. liposuction is done first and then skin tightening is done immediately after during the same operation..

hope this helps.

Ali Soueid, FRCS ( Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon

Brachioplasty

hello,thank you for your question and your photo.it is difficult based of the photo you have provided to judge the quality of the skin. You may be a candidate for a more limited liposuction procedure depending upon the quality of your skin and its ability to retract following this procedure.you can discuss this with a qualified board certified plastic surgeon in your area with a in person consultation. Best of luck.

John J. O`Brien, Jr., MD
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon

Lipo or arm lift?

The photo is not helpful and you will need to be assessed in-person. If you're at your ideal weight then liposuction seems more reasonable. However, if you plan to lose weight then getting assessed at your ideal weight by a plastic surgeon may lead to an arm lift recommendation.

Aldo Guerra, MD

Arm Lift or Liposuction

To fully answer this question you will need to see a board certified plastic surgeon, one who has experience doing both of these procedures. In reviewing your photograph, I think you could get a nice correction with some skin tightening from liposuction alone.  You must remember, however, that an arm lift will give more correction than liposuction alone.  How satisfied you will be after either surgery depends on what expectations you have for your results. I have many patients that are very satisfied with liposuction alone, but they understand the limitations of this procedure.

James Clayton, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Arm lift arm reduction brachioplasty VASER arm liposuction

Thank you for your questions regarding what is the best treatment for your arms, specifically arm liposuction or an armlift ( brachioplasty ). Based on your pictures only, and not a thorough history and physical examination, I think you would do best with a formal arm lift or brachioplasty. You have excess arm skin and fat. The arm fat can be removed with liposuction. However, arm liposuction will not remove your excess arm skin. I do not think whatever liposuction machine your plastic surgeon uses or how much arm fat is removed, that your arm skin will shrink. 

That being said, you can always have arm liposuction now. If you do not like your arm liposuction results, give it at least 6 months. If you still do not like your arm liposuction results, you can undergo an arm lift, arm skin reduction or brachioplasty. In summary, I think for you, the arm lift would be best. Please consult with an experienced, board certified plastic surgeon who has performed at least 100 arm lifts. If you have any other questions about arm liposuction, the arm lift, the arm reduction, or brachioplasty, please contact my office.  Sincerely, Dr. Katzen. 

J. Timothy Katzen, MD, FACS