What would be the best approach to reduce the width and improve the shape of my nose - particularly at the tip? (Photo)

I've long felt that my nose was too wide/bulbous and slightly out of proportion with the rest of my face. What procedure - if any - would be advisable to improve this feature and bring better balance to my face?

Nose

kraymer0, This is what I find difficult with this forum. First of all no one can tell you anything of any significance based on your one selfie. As far as I can see most young men would love to look like the man in that photo. Should you really be serious seek the advice of as experienced facial plastic specialist and be conservative. Good luck!

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Broad nose

Your nose is overally broad in the frontal view, so you'd be candidate for rhinoplasty in orther to thin all its parts: bony pyramid, soft pyramid, tip, etc.

Alejandro Nogueira, MD
Spain Plastic Surgeon

Options for a wide nose

It is true that an attractive nose should fit one's face. Gender, size, shape and age all affect the face. Bigger builds and faces can support bigger noses. But in general there are procedures (surgery) that can make wide tips more refined, wide bones less wide and other nasal features more harmonious. Osteotomies can help wide bones and various tip plasty procedures actually 'sculpt' the cartilages of the tip. Grafts also help in refinement. An experienced nasal surgeon will suggest and discuss these in more detail.   

Donn R. Chatham, MD
Louisville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty to narrow a wide nose

A rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish narrowing a wide nose. Osteotomies are required to narrow wide nasal bones, which narrows the entire bridge line. A conservative amount of cartilage removal from the tip can help narrow the tip as well. Very important not to overdo narrowing the nose. For many examples, please see the link and video below

Change shape of nose

Your interest in changing the shape of the nose requires a medical history, pertinent examination and what you are looking to do.
An experienced board certified rhinoplastic surgeon, at consultation, would give you an idea of what can be done and what not can be done. The risks and fees should also be discussed. Computer imaging is helpful in knowing what your sense of aesthetics is.

Dennis Barek, MD
Great Neck Plastic Surgeon

Best approach to reduce the width and improve the shape of my nose - particularly at the tip?

No one ever "needs" a rhinoplasty. It is an elective procedure and only you can determine if your nasal features concern you enough to do something about improving the cosmetic appearance of your nose and whether it would worthwhile.

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do based on a two dimensional photo without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else. I would suggest that you find a surgeon certified by the American Board of American Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

If you are still ambivalent about undergoing the procedure after having plastic surgery consultations, I would suggest that you not have the procedure until you are sure that you want to do it.

Robert Singer, M.D., FACS

La Jolla,California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Candidate

Rhinoplasty to address the size and shape of your nose should help you address your concerns. You have to understand that there is no such thing as the “perfect” nose. As rhinoplasty surgeons, we are able to improve the structure and function of the nose to address specific issues you have with how your nose looks and and how well you can breathe. Perfect symmetry does not exist in nature. Attempts to improve the symmetry of your nose should be aimed at achieving an improvement in your asymmetry to the point where it is no longer very noticeable. If you look carefully enough, you will always be able to find imperfections. The goal is a normal looking nose that is in harmony with the rest of your anatomy.

Rhinoplasty

Hello. Sounds like you are an ideal candidate for rhinoplasty. A narrower and more refined, yet masculine nose is easily attainable in the right hands.

Marcelo Ghersi, MD

Rhinoplasty

Your concerns could be addressed with a rhinoplasty.  I would advise doing 3D photographic imaging with your surgeon to make sure your aesthetic goals are met.

John Burns, MD