Anemia and a BBL, for 36 year old female

I would like to get a BBL next year, but I was told I am anemic. I workout at least 4 to 5 times a week doing cardio and weightlifting. My shape has improved (now 5'4 150lbs). I have lost 50 lbs, but I am having trouble getting that hourglass figure. I figured since I eat right and exercise that I would have had a great physical with a general practitioner earlier this year. However, the doctor stated I was anemic. I plan to try to take in more iron, but can this stop me from getting a BBL?

Iron deficiency anemia can usually be treated by taking supplemental iron.If you provide pictures, this can be readily ascertained and recommendations can be made.   Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Anemia and a BBL

Anemia can be caused EITHER by
- your inability to make red blood cells
- your chronically losing blood (heavy periods, slow stomach or colon bleed) and being unable to compensate for it.
The degree of anemia and the cause should direct the treatment. While not taking enough Iron to compensate for Iron losses MAY be the leading cause of anemia IF things do not get better your PCP should perform a full work up to see what the other cause may be.
Dr. Peter A. Aldea
Memphis, TN

Anemia and surgery

It really depends upon the procedures, how anemic you are, and your overall medical condition. These are things that are reviewed on consultation.  Best of luck.

Anemia and surgery

Hello.  Thank you for your question.  Anemia is one of the factors that can stop you from having elective surgery.  Hemoglobin levels should be 12 mg/dl or higher  in order to have a safer surgery.  Take iron three times a day with your meals and ear healthy.  Have a nice day.  

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Anemia and elective surgery

If your anemia is severe, it can definitely delay your Brazilian Butt Lift. I refer profoundly anemic patients to a hematologist so he or she can assess the causes of your anemia and treat it appropriately. Once corrected, it will not be an obstacle for surgery.Hope this helps! Sam Jejurikar, MD