How soon after weight loss can I get a tummy tuck?

I am in the process of losing 110 pounds and I am already half way there. I plan on reaching my goal weight next year and soon after that I want to get a breast lift and tummy tuck. I am almost 100% positive my stomach will never look normal because it is already very saggy with massive amounts of stretch marks. I want to get my surgery done as soon as I reach my goal weight. Is that a bad idea?

Surgery after weight loss

If you indeed are going to loose 110 lbs your weight should be stable following the weight loss.  If someone had weight reduction or bariatric surgery, that may be at least a year or more.  The general rule of thumb is your weight loss should be stable for 3 months once your reach your goal weight or your weight has plateaued  before embarking on contouring surgery.

Mobile Plastic Surgeon

Timing of tummy tuck after significant weight loss

Congratulations on your weight loss journey success!  That's an empowering thing you're doing.The best time for body contouring after weight loss is when you are at or near your ideal/goal weight and your weight loss has been stable for 3-6 months.  Warmly,Dr. Kavali

Carmen Kavali, MD

Congratulations on your weight loss, and thank you for your question. Actually, you can have your tummy tuck as soon as you reach the weight that you think you can practically maintain. There is no time-line period that you have to wait. I do suggest looking into a plastic surgeon that performs the no-drain tummy tuck to benefit from the reduced pain, recovery time, and complication rate.Best of luck to you.

Weight and surgery, some advices:

Thank you very much for this interesting and important question.

Trying to lose weight before a surgical procedure its a very delicate matter, since in many cases a restrictive diet can cause problems, such as anemia, electrolyte disturbances, decreased protein, etc ... retarding the healing process and damaging the surgery.
For these reasons, if your purpose is to lose weight, i recommend you have a BMI less or equal to 30.
In this regard, you must to have a support with a nutritionist, so you can achieve the desired goal, in the most healthy way, without incressing complications risks in the plastic surgery to perform.Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

First I want to congratulate you on losing all of that weight. It is not easy and it is even harder to keep it off. This is as great question and I will answer most of it in the video attached. You do want to be as close to your ideal body weight as you can for the best possible results. Watch this video and it should answer your question well. Sincerely,DrRickAZ

Richard J. Brown, MD

Congratulations on your significant weight loss.  Best for a few reasons, to wait about six months prior to proceeding with plastic surgical procedures after you have reached your long-term stable weight.  At that time, select your plastic surgeon carefully and communicate your goals/concerns/questions carefully as well.  You may find the attached link, dedicated to patients who have experienced significant weight loss, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes as you work toward your goals. 

How soon after weight loss for a tummy tuck?

It's always a good idea to be at a stable weight prior to a tummy tuck.  Additionally, the way the weight is lost is also a factor.  With extreme diets a person's nutrition level can be affected which in turn limits surgical healing.  It sounds like you are doing this in a controlled manner which is ideal.  I would say that a good rule of thumb would be a stable weight for 2 to 3 months following weight loss and to have your protein levels (albumin) checked prior to surgery to make sure you are able to heal wounds.  Best wishes.

Shayne Webb, MD

Extreme weight loss

Thank you for your question.I would recommend once you reach your goal weight, as long as you are in the BMI range of 30 or below, to maintain that weight for at least 3-6 months before having your surgery performed. If your BMI is higher than 30 you put yourself at a higher health risk and if your weight fluctuates too much after your surgery it can affect your results. So I would wait until you reach a healthy weight that you are satisfied with then have your surgery performed. It is important to remember to continue to live a healthy balanced lifestyle though diet and exercise even after surgery to maintain your results. 
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Post weight loss - surgery timing

Thank you for your question. Congratulations on loosing weight. I usually recommend to wait about 12 weeks once they reach the goal weight before the surgery. Want to make sure no significant fluctuations in weight. Good luck

How Soon After Weight Loss Can You Get a Tummy Tuck?

Congratulations on your weight loss! It is best to wait at least 6 months after reaching your goal weight to be sure you can maintain it. Be sure to choose a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who will be able to help you attain your goals. Good luck!

Miguel Delgado, MD