After 2 pregnancies my body changed. Do I have enough breast for a lift? My goal is to remain as natural as possible. (photo)
Doctor Answers 24
Candidate for breast lift and tummy tuck
Lift and tummy tuck
Gary Horndeski, M.D.
You might also like...
Mommy Make Over
Breast Lift Choices
Before we discuss the different types of lifts, lets discuss some basic ground rules;
- Lifts are designed to make a sagging breast lifted and more perky. Lifts will not change the overall size of the breasts.
- Lifts will sometimes make you appear bigger because the sagging, flat breast is changed into a more perky lifted package.
- Some breast lift techniques require a reduction in volume as part of the lift technique. The amount of volume loss will be dependent on the amount of sag - more sag, more loss of volume.
- The type of techniques that you can have are based on the sternal notch to nipple distance. You can determine this distance by taking a metric tape measure or ruler and measure from the notch at the top of your breast bone and then measure to the more saggy breasts nipple. In my practice we divide patients into three classes( <25cm's, 25-35cm's and >35cm's). Before you read further, assess your sternal notch-nipple distance.
- If you want to be enlarged, expect to get an implant as part of the lift.
- Most importantly, implants should not be used to lift a breast! Implants are for volume, lifts are for shape.
- Goes Lift - This lift invented by a Brazilian plastic surgeon is a circumareolar scar technique (incision only around the edge of the areola) is designed for sagging breasts up to 25 cm's. The procedure lifts the breast from above and fills the upper pole to add fullness. The breast is tailored to create projection and the durability of the shape is supported with an internal mesh brassiere. Today the mesh is better than it used to be. This is a great technique for those looking for a lift, upper pole fullness and modest projection improvement.
- Benelli Mastopexy - This lift is invented by a french surgeon is a circumareolar scar technique that is also designed for sagging breasts up to 25 cm's. The sagging breast is lifted by tightening the lower pole of the breast. While the lower pole may not be as saggy as it once was, the breast does not have any improvement in upper pole fullness or projection. This technique is less ideal than the Goes Lift.
- Lejour Mastopexy - This lift is invented by a plastic surgeon from Belgium and has a lollipop incision. It is ideal for any patient with a sternal to nipple distance of less than 35 cm's. The procedure lifts the upper and lower poles and provides for maximal projection. In general, I believe this technique yields the most beautiful breasts. The down side to this lift is the need to remove some tissue through surgical removal or liposuction. Therefore, the lifting may result in some loss of volume.
- Hall-Findlay Mastopexy - This lift/reduction is invented by a plastic surgeon from Canada and has a lollipop incision. It is ideal for those patients with a nipple-sternal notch distance of less than 30 cm's. The procedure does not address the upper pole and does not really do a great job of enhancing projection, but will tighten the lower pole. I use this technique whenever their is a contraindication for performing a Lejour Lift.
- Mckissock or Goulian Mastopexy - The anchor scar technique is ideal for patients with a nipple to sternal notch distance of greater than 35 cm's. The shape is not ideal and is prone to bottoming out. Bottoming out is when the nipple does not sag, but the breast tissue does. This technique is an older technique but is a necessity when considering the excessively saggy breast.
You could always do a breast lift alone. But, your breasts would be quite small. Breast implants of a small size can look very natural It would be beneficial for you to look at many before and after images to get an idea of the result s you like. Then, have a consultation with a plastic surgeon you trust to help guide you.
After 2 pregnancies my body changed. Do I have enough breast for a lift? My goal is to remain as natural as possible.
Kenneth Hughes, MD
Los Angeles, CA
Breast Lift and Abdominoplasty
After 2 pregnancies my body changed. Do I have enough breast for a lift?
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.