Is there a risk of having excess skin left on your stomach if you have liposuction and no tummy tuck?

In general, the answer is yes.  Liposuction will not remove any skin, and once the fat has been sucked out from under the skin, the skin can then be loose.  Of course, this depends on how large your stomach is, your age, your skin elasticity, how aggressively the liposuction is performed, and the surgeon's technique.  Your surgeon can determine this likelihood once you are examined face to face.  Hope this helps.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There is a risk of aggravating excess skin on the abdomen in the wake of liposuction.

If excess skin exists on the abdomen at present liposuction of any variety will not solve that problem. It might not necessarily aggravated. However how the skin response to the reduction volume after liposuction in large part determines how good the results will be.

Dear Lena:

Since I began using VASER ultrasound assisted liposuction in my patients, skin laxity has been a minor problem and usually handled by external monopolar radio frequency (RF) treatments. Given that everyone heals differently and may have differing skin quality I would have to see and feel your skin to be more precise about the use of VASER alone in preventing  excess skin laxity. The only other treatment I am aware of that may help in preventing skin laxity is Thermi and Body Tite which are internal RF treatments, along with or separate from liposuction.Hop this helps,

Thanks,

Dr. K. Dolynchuk

Ken Dolynchuk, MD
Manitoba Plastic Surgeon

Dear Lena:

Thanks,

Dr. K. Dolynchuk

Ken Dolynchuk, MD
Manitoba Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction

In general, I have not found any lipo machine that really tightens the skin to any extent.  Your skin may be loose afterwards.  How much really depends upon many factors and a physical exam will be h

Liposuction

Liposuction without a tummy tuck?

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• A great question because the answer is 'maybe.'
  • If your tummy skin is firm and tight, then liposuction will make it a little looser but not much.
  • But if you have excess skin to start with - the usual causes are having babies or losing a lot of weight - then yes, liposuction removes the remaining fat, leaving the skin even looser.
  • It can be hard to tell on yourself - but your plastic surgeon can easily tell you based on your exam.
  • At times, even then it isn't entirely clear and it is reasonable to have just liposuction as long as you understand that as you heal, there may be excess skin and some additional surgery to improve your result may be needed.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Liposuction without a tummy tuck?

Yes, there is always that risk involved when someone ops to do liposuction. If you already have loose skin or have current stretch marks on your abdomen, then that is a good sign that lipo will not help and that you need a tummy tuck to remove the excess skin. Generally a surgeon can tell you at your consultation what procedure would give you the best results. 

Makeover with Possible Tummy Tuck and VASER Hi Def Liposuction

Yes, there can be some skin laxity if a person was a candidate for a tummy tuck but opted not to get one. A hi-definition procedure will help get the most skin tightening results. 

I use VASER HI DEF with ThermiRF, ultrasound and fat grafting to get the most fat removal, skin tightening, and contouring. I suggest a consult with a hi-def physique liposuction expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Without a full set of photos- and the benefit of physical exam- it's difficult to comment accurately. Every patient is different. Liposuction is good for people who have primarily excess fat-as an issue.  If a patient presents with both excess skin and fat- then a tummy tuck may be indicated. I recommend you seek a consultation with an experienced BoardCertified PS

For most younger women who have never had a baby and have great elasticity in their skin, liposuction is a good choice. But if the patient has poor elasticity from age, pregnancy or weight loss, liposuction takes away the fat supporting the skin and often leaves loose skin that looks worse than it did before surgery. 

Excess Skin After Liposuction

Thank you for your question. If you are a good candidate for liposuction, your skin should tighten after the procedure so that you don't have loose skin. The best way to determine if you are a good candidate is to go in for a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon. However, if you have loose skin or excess skin before liposuction, the procedure often will not correct the loose skin.

Excess Skin After Liposuction