Can you advise the best questions to ask during consultation for lipo and Tummy Tuck?

I am wanting liposuction on multiple areas and probably a TT also. Can you tell me what are the best questions you have been asked or what should be asked when consulting for these procedures? I want to make sure I have everything written down prior to going so I do not forget. Thanks!

Questions to ask before surgery

For any kind of surgery, it is important to do your homework.  The very first question you should ask is if your doctor is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  There are many doctors out there performing cosmetic surgery but the ABPS is the only board recognized by the AMA for the training and certification of plastic surgeons.  You might also ask about how long the doctor has been in practice, if there are any areas of the body that he/she specializes in, and what the risks and benefits are for the procedure that you are considering.  Look at before/after pictures of patients who have had this procedure.  Talk to friends who have had surgery and see who they recommend.  If possible, you might even talk to one of the doctor's previous patients who has had the procedure.  They can tell you what to expect from the patient's perspective.  Finally, and this isn't a question really, make sure you are comfortable with the doctor who will be performing your surgery.  Does he/she spend an appropriate amount of time with you answering your questions?  Will the doctor be performing your surgery or does he/she have a nurse or PA who does a lot of the work?  Will he/she be there for your follow-up or will you see a member of the staff?  What is the policy in case a complication arises?  I have seen patients come to my office for help when the doctor who did their surgery suddenly wasn't available when they had problems.  You are entrusting your health and well being to this doctor so you want to be sure that he/she will be available to you if needed. 

Tummy tuck questions to ask your doctor

The listings below are very helpful and more specifically you should ask:
What do you do to hide the scar under my pantyline or bikini?
How much of the fat can you remove?
What will my belly button look like?
How do you prevent seromas?
What do you do if you find a hernia?
When can I stand up straight; return to light exercise; return to full activity?
If I smoke, how long should before surgery should I stop smoking?

Although this is a partial list, it will open the door to a thorough conversation.
Let us know if this is helpful.

Sheldon Lincenberg, MD

What are the best questions to ask during consultation for lipo and tummy tuck?

Good question!  It is a good idea to make a list as there is a lot to cover during your consultation.  The main questions should relate to your expectations of what can be done to make you happy and self confident.  Once you have established what procedures will achieve that desired result, then questions regarding scar, healing, risks, complications, aftercare, recovery, etc. should be fully discussed with your plastic surgeon during your visit.  I make it a priority with my patients that they fully understand all of the above topics and that they do not leave my office until every question has been fully answered by me.  I wish you all the best! 

Hi, thank you for your question. This is great planning on your part! First I would seek out a few board certified plastic surgeons to interview. I would ask for an evaluation and discuss what your goals are to the PS's. I would discuss with the surgeons what procedures they recommend, what is the procedure entail, how long is it, how much down time will there be, how long off of work, what to expect from healing process, will it be inpatient or outpatient, ask that they not choose drains-those increase healing time. I would also ask if I need assistance at home, can they hide the scar, how much fat can they remove, and are there any risks or complications.  You should also ask for before and after photos of prior patients and testimonials. After all of that homework, you should be able to choose your best PS!  Best wishes to you on your journey!

#evaluations  #BCPS  #questions  #healingprocess

Questions during a consultation for lipo and tummy tuck

Thanks for your question.  After a consultation, it is important that you are aware of the following:

- details about how your operation will be performed, including the healing time, the potential risks, how any complications would be managed, and other treatment options 
- the surgeon's training and expertise (this can often be researched in advance by checking online with licensing authorities or rating websites)
- the facility where the operation would be performed (hospital or private facility with appropriate accreditation standards)

I hope this is helpful!

I think you should start by deciding what your goals are. You must consult a plastic surgeon and verbalize these expectations with him/ her. Then you will be told the various options to achieve these goals. Once you have decided upon a procedure, you should ask about the cost, recovery time required, post-op care, and the risks and most common complications. You can also ask his/ her opinion as to which procedure he would suggest if it were his family or friend. 

If the procedure is a tummy Tuck, I would ask if he/ she performs the "no-drain tummy tuck." In my experience of over 40 years, I have found the recovery time to be much shorter and also less painful, and you are not encumbered with drains for several days.

Good luck with your procedure.

Consult Questions

Hi and thanks for the question. There are several questions to ask when considering any procedure. These include:

• Is the surgeon certified by th American Board of Plastic Surgery (Very Impprtant)
  • How many of these procedures has the doctor done
  • How regularly does the doctor perform these specific procedures
  • Have them describe the procedure, potential complications and recovery process to you in detail
  • Ask to see pictures
These are some basic questions that can apply to any procedure. Good luck with your procedure...

James E. Hardy, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Best questions to ask

Hello dear, thansk for your post, this is a good question, what to ask to my doctor before my surgery?

what to do weeks before surgery, what to expect, post surgical instructions, healing process, if you are a good candidate of this procedure, consult your goals with your PS, if its necessary to have more than on consultaion with your doctor before surgery do it. Is really important to look your self and see what you want to improve and how do you want look after you do that seek for a Board ertified Plastic Surgeon for an evaluation and Im pretty sure that he woul talk about the pros-cons and risks and also depending on what you want he woukl let you know whta is better for you. Good luck :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Consult questions

I agree with the other responses but I also encourage patients to get 2-3 consults (especially if they are free).  You should get a good sense of what would be a realistic expectation after such visits.

Jacqueline Anne Luong, MD, FACS
Edina Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the good question. I would suggest that you focus on questions regarding concerns such as pros/cons/risks/complications associated with any proposed procedure. It will also be important to learn about recovery period details.   Also, achieving a sense of realistic expectations when it comes to outcome and returning to postoperative activities will be important.

Some general advice I give my patients undergoing tummy tuck surgery may be helpful to you:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself) and that you have realistic expectations. Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life situation. You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.

5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through any tougher emotional times after your surgery.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.