Abdominal Wall Reconstruction (AWR) when overweight. How does being overweight impact results of AWR and future TT?

After having twins, I have always looked 5+ months pregnant. I have/had diastasis recti and did pelvic floor dysfunction PT for awhile. Due to excruciating pain, I go in for scans Monday to look for a hernia and assess my abdominal muscles. PCP told me to be prepared for possible AWR, recommended a plastic surgeon. I had hoped to have a mommy makeover when we were done having kids and am not close to my ideal weight. How does being overweight impact results of AWR and future TT?

Abdominal wall reconstruction

Hello and thank you for the question.First and foremost, you are going to need additional information which you will get from the scans. From there you will be able to determine the next course of action. In all likelihood, however, a tummy tuck should be possible with a concomitant hernia repair in most cases.Best of luck,Glenn Vallecillos, MD, FACS

Since much of your excess weight is intra-abdominal, trying to repair a loose or torn abdominal wall in the setting of being overweight is like trying to stuff 40 pounds of flour into a 10 pound sack--it won't "work" without tearing the bag! 

You must lose weight for AWR or tummy tuck to be helpful to your figure AND your symptoms. BTW, you still have diastasis recti (and/or) hernia. This does not "go away" without surgery. So lose weight and have a successful surgery, as nothing will work as well while overweight, and the complication rate is higher also. Good luck and best wishes Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for sharing your question and I am sorry to hear of your abdominal issues.  If you have a hernia that requires an AWR but then go on to lose enough weight that you would be interested in a tummy tuck, your hernia repair will not impede your ability to have one.  Hope this helps.