Am I a candidate for laser lipo, mini, or full Tummy tuck? (photos)

I'm 1.5 years post partum and have returned to my pre-pregnancy weight (115 lbs @ 5'3"). I'm not that happy with the way my stomach looks although my clothes fit great. I would love to reduce the skin laxity by at least 50% in order to wear a bikini with confidence. Ideally I would love a non-surgical treatment due to risk and recovery time. What are my options ?

Abdominoplasty is the only solution for excess skin of the abdomen.

Skin tightening technology doesn't work. Don't waste your money. From the photographs I think you would get an excellent result from an abdominoplasty. The main trade-off is the resulting incision. Your surgeon will show you many patients who've undergone the procedure and how this incision looks at different times after the operation.

Tummy Tuck Revision/Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/High Definition Procedures

From your photos, you appear to be an excellent candidate for a full tummy tuck with Vaser H definition liposculpture to your hips and back.  You should get a great result from liposculpture, giving you a more contoured and hourglass shape with better projection to your buttocks.

Vaser Hi Definition liposuction uses the concepts of negative and positive spaces in relation to the underlying bony and muscle anatomy to define areas such as your six pack and create an athletic looking physique.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Candidate for Tummy Tuck

Tummy Tuck (abdominoplasty) is a plastic surgery procedure designed to flatten the abdomen by removing excess skin and fat, and to tighten the abdominal wall.

Women and men who have excess skin and/or fat around the abdomen which does not respond to diet and exercise are candidates for abdominoplasty. Many patients complain that they cannot flatten their abdominal muscles through exercise, which also means a tummy tuck may be right for them.

Abdominoplasty candidates have:

·         excess abdominal skin which may sag

·         a disproportionate or protruding abdomen

·         weakened or separated abdominal muscles

·         excess fat concentrated in the abdomen

Other tummy tuck patients may recently have lost a lot of weight and need to have excess skin and tissue removed. Many women choose to have an abdominoplasty following pregnancy. Older patients may be candidates for a tummy tuck due to reduced skin elasticity, family traits, age, immobility.

A variety of tummy tucks are available. Patients who only need a tightening of the abdominal muscles or removal of a small amount of skin may be best treated with a “mini-tuck.” Patients who have undergone massive weight loss, on the other hand, will probably require more extensive surgery.

Mini-abdominoplasty tightens the lower abdominal wall and skin below the umbilicus, belly button, only (shortest scar).

Modified abdominoplasty addresses conditions where just the muscle wall or just the abdominal skin requires repair.

Standard abdominoplasty tightens all of the abdominal wall skin and muscles above and below the belly button. The scar can be altered or lowered to be hidden by most panty lines and bathing suits. (Standard scar).

Extended abdominoplasty tightens the abdomen and the flanks or sides (longest scar extending around the flanks onto lower back.)

A general anesthetic is most common, although mini-tucks may be done with local anesthetic and intravenous sedation. A standard abdominoplasty is generally an outpatient procedure, but extended abdominoplasty may require a short hospitalization of 1–2 days.

Tummy tuck + Lipo candidate, some advices:

Thanks for the question.

In this regard, I recommend you Tummy Tuck with muscle repair, to get a flat abdomen and waist and back Liposculpture, getting better curves especially in the waist, improving your body contour.

Finally, I suggested take the fat we get and transfer to the buttocks and hips, to mold them and get better volume, contour and butt projection, is that we know as "Brazilian Butt Lift" (BBL).

Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for a full tummy tuck with liposuction.  This can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.  The belly button can be designed to look natural and have no scars on the exterior.   Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

No non surgical option

to remove loose/lax skin. This has to be dealt with by performing some variation of a TT. Go see some consultations with PS, they will walk you through what type of TT you are a candidate for. Mini TT's are a very small portion of the total TT platform. 

May seem like overkill, but you will want a full tummy tuck to get the best results...

It is really hard to give advice without examining patients with regards to abdominoplasties and the many permutations and “versions” of them that get offered to patients.  Briefly, if you have excess skin or laxity in your skin and fat, removal of that tissue would be of benefit.  If your muscle contour is not what it used to be or it not optimal, a procedure to tighten your “core” may be necessary.  This is especially important in the post-pregnancy population as during your pregnancy, your muscles were forced to adapt to a growing baby inside.  Most times, those muscles don’t  go exactly back to where they were before.  Some come back really darn close, but rarely to their exact pre-pregnancy position.  If you don’t have the musculature issues addressed, and you only have the skin and subcutaneous tissues removed, your contour will not be optimal and I believe you will be dissatisfied with your results.  It’s paramount to fix the foundation (the musculature) before building the house.

The next question to address is what to do with your belly button.  Depending on the amount of upper abdominal laxity, you may have your belly button brought through a new place in your skin (belly button stays where it is on your abdominal wall, but by stretching skin downwards, it needs to come out in a new place or it would look tethered and not natural) or you  may need to leave it where it is or potentially “float” it down the abdominal wall an inch or two (it actually ends up being lower on your torso than where it started).  Decisions about pre-surgery position of your belly button and tradeoffs between potential scar placement vs. keeping your belly button in a naturally-appearing position are used to determine that. 

As you can see, there are lots to consider when discussing abdominoplasties.  You really need to discuss all of these issues with a board certified plastic surgeon and see pictures of their results. Who cares if someone does “drainless tummy tucks” if their results do not look great.  Likewise, tummy tucks that are done overly tight do not look natural and defeat the purpose of having your abdomen rejuvenated in the first place.  What good is getting a tummy tuck if you aren’t excited to show it off?  Hope this helps!

-JGH

Tummy Tuck

If you are done having kids, then a tummy tuck will be the best option to help restore muscle and skin laxity. Liposuction will not be a good option. Also, it looks like you may have a small umbilical hernia which can be fixed at the same time as your tummy tuck. Take you time in selecting a plastic surgeon that has good experience with tummy tucks and make sure to study his/her before and after photos. Thanks for sharing!

Joel Patrick Maier, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Am I a candidate for laser lipo, mini, or full Tummy tuck?

If your biggest concern is skin laxity, then liposuction is not your answer. All liposuction does is remove fat and help contour areas better. It does nothing to tighten the skin. You would need some sort of tummy tuck to remove the excess skin. Make sure to visit a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss which style of tummy tuck would best fit your specif needs. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question and pictures. Based on your history, photographs, and stated goals, you will do best with a full tummy tuck operation. In my practice, I would not offer you liposuction surgery alone or any type of non surgical treatment.   Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

In my opinion, the mini tummy tuck is an operation that produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For the vast majority of patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results.   When the time is right, seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients achieve the types of outcomes you would be pleased with.   You may find the attached link and video, dedicated to tummy tuck surgery concerns, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.