5 days ago I had 1 syringe of Beltoro injected under each eye and have puffy bags under them. (photos)

5 days ago I had 1 syringe of Beltoro injected under each eye and now have puffy bags under them. They feel like "water bags" and are very noticeable. The bags to not feel like typical swelling. The puffiness has not decreased at all with icing 3x/day. There was no puffiness pre-injection. Is this normal? Should I consider having a reversal done at 2-3 weeks? I also have bruising, but that is fading nicely with arnica cream. I am not concerned about it.

Swelling after Belotero Injection

Thank you for your question. It is common to have some swelling and bruising after injections in the tear trough (under eyes). Swelling and bruising can take up to 2 weeks to resolve. You can ice and gently massage the area to help with the swelling. If you are unhappy with your results can have the filler dissolved with hyaluronidase. I recommend contacting treating physician if you still have concerns.

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Swelling under eyes

It is normal to have some bruising under the eyes but 1 syringe per eye seems a little much.  Usually we start out with 1/2 a syringe per eye at the follow up we see how the product settled & if you need re-injected. I would give it the 2 weeks and see how the puffiness is or if you are feeling uncomfortable I would suggest setting up an appointment to see the doctor again.

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling post injection

It is normal to have swelling  and bruising post injections.

The bruising will disappear. By day 5, your swelling should dissipate. If,however it des not, you may have to have the product removed with hyaluronidase .2 weeks is the magic number  to see the final effect.

1 syringe per eye seems like a lot of product. This may be the problem. I usually start with 1/2 syringe between the 2 eyes , then bring the patient back at 2 weeks when most of the product should settle  and reinject at that time if necessary. It is always easier to add than subtract.

If there is no improvement, I would go back for a reevaluation. 

Cynthia Stolovitz, MD
Montreal Physician

Post Belotero

Belotero injection can cause this. The bruising can also be normal. I would not do any reversal yet. As everything settles you may end up being quite happy. If you have time go see your surgeon. They will be able to advise you the best.

In my hands I use a cannula for this area. There is less swelling, pain and bruising. It allows us to place the belotero or other filler in different layers with only one skin poke. 

For your swelling try a low salt diet. Less than 1000mg/day. This helps with water retention. 

Benjamin Caughlin, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after Belotero to tear trough

Thank you for posting your photos. Some swelling is normal with most HA fillers. The tear trough area is prone to swelling. This being said, Belotero is usually good for this area because is less hydrophilic (does not attract as much water). The amount of filler injected might have something to do in your case. One syringe in each under eye seems like a lot of filler. In my practice 1 syringe is usually more than enough to cover both tear troughs and many times there is some product left. Since you have been icing it and it has been already 5 days, I will suggest you visit your doctor for an in-person evaluation. Small amount of hyaluronidase could be beneficial in your case. The bruising is normal, and it seems to be better, don't worry about it. Hope this answer was helpful. Good luck!

Swelling after belotero

It is very common to have swelling after fillers. I would wait for 2 weeks after the initial injection to see if it resolved on its own.

Belotero under the eyes

Your body's response to Belotero is not typical but is certainly within the realm of possibilities.  I would recommend following up with the treating provider.  They may recommend a Medrol Dosepak to bring down the swelling.  If that doesn't work, the filler can be removed using a medication called Vitrase.  Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Paul B. Johnson, MD
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lower eyelid injection, it often swells

It is usual that the lower eye lid get "puffy" when injections are done in those areas. It's even worse with surgery at the beginning. There are a lot of vessels and the skin is really thin.

Icing is good, you can also massage the area, gently. Most of the time with massage it will slowly fade away. Time help as well, it is still early to see the definitiv result, especially for lower eyelid.

You should see your doctor in 2 to 3 weeks, I think it will be gone, otherwise you could consider hyaluronidase that will "dissolve" the product. But I am optimist you won't need to.

Thomas Colson, MD
France General Surgeon

Belotero and Under Eye Filler

Depending on your situation and whether or not you are a good candidate for an under eye filler the swelling or bruising can last a few weeks.  If you are concerned I would return to your treating physician.  It is best to include before photos as well to help analyze.  Keep us posted please.  Best, Dr. Green

Tear Trough Filler

Recovery from filler under the eyes can take many weeks. Often water or fluid collects under the eyes during recovery. For a short time, the eyes may appear worse.  I would wait 6 weeks and see what your result is.  Sometimes the filler needs to be massaged. If you are not satisfied, it can be dissolved with Hylenex. 

Jean Keamy, MD
Westborough Ophthalmologist