I'm 35 having jaw surgery in September. I like to get either lipo or a tummy tuck. Is it safe to get both done at same time?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift…

Combined surgery

It's not really appropriate for us to help determine if this is the safe combination.

There are by far too many variables involved.

For example if your jaw surgery requires having your jaw wired then I would highly advise against having that done in conjunction with an abdominoplasty.

Please talk to both your plastic surgeon and your oral surgeon about this.

Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Jaw surgery plus liposuction or tummy tuck?

Your idea is a good one
first ask your jaw  surgeon. S/he may say no - that the surgery will take too long or your recovery will be too difficult.
if your surgeon agrees, then you need to find a plastic surgeon who has privileges at the same hospital or surgery center to see if that surgeon has time available and thinks it is a good idea
the answer is more likely to be "yes" to liposuction....a tummy tuck takes longer and so does the recovery

Hope all goes well!

Thank you for your question and best wishes on your upcoming surgery.  At times procedures can be combined in order to limit the amount of times a patient has to undergo anesthesia.  Without knowing the full details of your jaw surgery it is difficult to offer definite recommendations but you can certainly ask each of your doctors to see if they would be willing to work together.  Hope this helps.

Combined procedures

Typically Combine procedures can be a very good idea and cost-effective. It is necessary to have good communication before and between the two surgeons.  If the primary Procedure, such as the jaw surgery, is particularly complicated the surgeon may prefer not to add additional procedures. But when both surgeons agree, combining procedures can save money and result in just one anesthetic and one recovery time.

William H. Gorman, MD