I'm 2 wks post upper/lower eyelid surgery & facelift. Left eye has weird crease and it's not resolving. Is it swelling? (Photo)

Doc says its swelling and will go away. Not any better 17 days post surgery. Didn't look right immediately after. Does this look like normal swelling?

Swelling Can Exacerbate Issue

Thanks for your question. At your point in the recuperation process, it's normal for a good amount of swelling to still be present. The crease you describe certainly piques my interest, but it's very possible that normal facial swelling is the cause. It could also be from deeper sutures as many of us suspend the soft tissues inside to support the lower lids. With regular, gentle massage and occasional compresses, and with your plastic surgeon’s approval, you should see this resolve quite a bit in the next few weeks. If it remains for longer than that, you may wish to bring it up with your surgeon again at that point. Good luck with your recuperation.

Facial Surgery Recovery

Recovery time from a #facelift varies from person to person, but patients can generally expect to be presentable within three weeks from surgery. Patients should expect swelling, bruising, and discoloration of the skin during this phase of recovery (swelling normally goes down after 48 hours; most bruising will go away within two weeks). The marks from a facelift can easily hidden with “camouflage” make-up which you can learn how to apply.
Also, it is not #unusual to have unequal amounts of swelling which generally should improve and become more symmetric over several weeks.

The scars from a facelift mature within six to twelve months from the surgery date. It is during this time that the rejuvenating effects of the facelift will become apparent and the real result will be seen.
If you have certain concerns about the procedures and #healing process, it is recommended to call your board-certified surgeon or their medical staff and discuss those #concerns.

It looks like the left lower lid is more swollen than the right. Massage, time and perhaps a steroid injection should help
I would give it at least 3 months before considerng a revisison and waiting longer could be helpful if it seems like it is getting better.

It takes weeks to months for all the swelling to subside after facelift surgery.  This will improve with massage over time.  If a minor revision is needed, it can usually be done in an office setting.  Follow up with your surgeon so he can monitor your progress.  

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

2 weeks post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.
It's too early to make value judgments with only 2 weeks after a rhinoplasty.
Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Eyelid crease after lower blephs

Most likely it is swelling just above a tight suture which is an essential suture. The best way would be to try oral steroids, warm compresses and start gentle massage. Cut down your salt intake, sun exposure and heavy exercise. Also, discuss with your doctor possible taping the left lower eyelid at night for support. 
Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lower lid crease

I agree that this is a strange crease.  It is right at the bottom of the orbicularis muscle, so swelling may accentuate this. There may also be a scar band between the skin and an area where some muscle or fat was removed.    I would use some warm compresses and do some gentle massage.  If it feels firm then may need an injection of some anti-inflammatory meds such as steroid or 5-FU.  If it doesn't resolve after a few months may need filler into the crease of a revision.   

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Two weeks after face lift and upper and lower lid lifts - strange left lower lid crease

Thank you for asking about your face lift and blepharoplasties.

• It truly is too early to judge your final result -
  • Minor asymmetries and concerns arise for everyone and almost all resolve.
  • In addition to swelling, the crease probably reflects an internal support suture of the lower lid muscle.
  • This is standard today, can cause a pull line in the muscle and - as your surgeon says - usually goes away.
  • So just give yourself time - hard as it is.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Edema in left eyelid

There is more edema in the left lower eyelid that is causing the problem.
This will improve over time with massage.
Still early to know what will be needed in the future as the swelling goes down.

Eye lid

Hello, you are still very early in this process. Often times swelling can alter the early results. I would discuss the matter with your PS. Gentle massage can often help to soften the areas with irregular contours and swelling. Good Luck.