Did my Botox not work

I received 12 units of Botox 2 1/2 weeks ago in my 11 lines. It was looking softer and I could slightly frown. But now I can drown more and my 11 lines look the same as before I received Botox. I also feel like I'm constantly frowning . Did my Botox not work or did I not receive enough Botox

Botox is corrugators

Everyone responds differently and some patients have stronger muscles than others. Best to review with your injector. 

Botox Units

The "11" lines, otherwise known as the glabella, generally takes about 20 units of Botox by itself to smooth out. Depending on how deep the lines are, it may take several treatments approximately 3 months apart to lessen the appearance. In the meantime though, the Botox will keep the muscle from contracting in that area and getting any worse. I hope that makes sense. You more than likely just need a few more units.

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Botox for frown lines

12 units is on the low side for Botox to the frown lines.  This is enough for some people with less active muscles but most people will need closer to 20 units for best results.  I would suggest that you go back to see your injector.
Dr. Ort

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox for 11s

12 units is a very small dose for the glabellar complex and the minimum is generally 20 units. you also need to be sure you are seeing a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Botox Dosage

Thank you for your question.  Sorry that you are having some concerns about your postprocedure appearance.  After treatment, Botox will start working in a couple of days and you will see your final result at 2 weeks postprocedure.  In general, the lowest recommended dosage of Botox for the eleven lines or glabellar area is 20 units.  Based on what you described, you likely need more Botox.  Please keep in mind that etched creases may require multiple Botox treatments to see the best results.  Please be sure to see your injector for an in-person reevaluation to fully address your concerns and discuss your goals and expectations in order to determine the best treatment plan.  Best wishes! 

Botox Treatment

Hello & thank you for your question! I'm glad you waited a full 2 1/2 weeks before getting concerned, as it can take up to 2 full weeks for Botox to kick in. It sounds as though you may need more units to be treated to your preference. Most doctors will under-treat patients the first time they are treated since Botox is not reversible, so if the effects are not as desired it is easier to add a little more. Another important thing to note is that Botox does have the ability to soften lines and wrinkles, but it does take multiple treatments to really allow the skin to smooth back out. 

I would return to your doctor and just let them know that you would like a little more Botox in your glabella. Be sure to keep on top of your treatments every 3-4 months, and over time your 11 lines should soften.

**Did you know we are *live on Snapchat* every day? We are St Louis' own plastic surgery reality show! Add us (@nosebynayak) to see what goes on behind the scenes. Caution – our daily story is addictive, contains live surgery, and is not for the faint of heart!**

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Did my Botox not work?

Thank you for your question.  Because you saw some results but were limited in the degree and duration of effects it sounds as if not enough Botox was used and redosing would likely leave to improved effects.  Hope this helps.

Did Botox work?

While I have used as little as 10 units of Botox to treat the 11 lines (frown lines), the usual dosage is probably closer to 20 units.  It may be that you need more to achieve a better effect.  I would contact the physician who treated you to see about getting more Botox to improve your result.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox Not Working?

It is most likely not an issue of the efficacy of the Botox, and more about the amount you were treated with. Although dosage can vary by patient, the average amount of Botox injected in the glabella (between the eyebrows) is 20 units. Your physician may have been starting conservatively, particularly if it was your first time receiving treatment.

Botox generally takes about 2-3 days to start working, with the full effect seen after approximately 7-10 days. Since it has already been over two weeks, you are likely seeing the full effect of your treatment, and may safely add more units if necessary. Return to your physician for a follow-up and express your concerns. Best of luck!

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

20 units of Botox for 11's

Thank you for your question mommieof4mlh. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression such as the 11's between the brows seen when people frown. The pivotal studies demonstrated that patients enjoy their results in this area for 3-4 months when 20 units is used. In my experience, I find that 20 units is the minimum dose to relax muscles in this area. Please follow up with your doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician