Working out after mastopexy with no implants?

What kind of physical activity can be done and how long after the surgery in order not to compromise the healing process. Anchor incisions with fat grafted from my flanks apparently just to round up the top of the cleavage, but no implants.

Exercise following a mastopexy

Thank you very much for your question. In general, strenuous exercise and heavy lifting should be postponed for four to six weeks following the mastopexy procedure. However, depending on how well you are healing, some cardiovascular exercise can be incorporated in as little as two weeks. Each surgeon will have their own protocol for resuming activities following a breast lift, and my recommendation is that you carefully follow his/her recovery instructions. 

Thanks for your inquiry, I suggest you discuss your recovery timetable with your surgeon and remember your timetable needs to be adjusted depending on how you are healing.  

Cardio after mastopexy

It is always best to check with your plastic surgeon before making decisions such as this. In my practice, cardiovascular exercise can be restarted two weeks after surgery. Best of luck!

Working out after mastopexy

Thank you for your question. The best answer is be patient and start out slow. I generally tell my patients not to get their heart rate or blood pressure high for the first two weeks to minimize bleeding complications. From 2-6 weeks I recommend certain cardio exercises (those that cause minimal or no breast movement  like stationary bike) and light weight training. After 6 weeks you should be able to enjoy your normal routines. With that said, please ask your surgeon for their recommendations. Good luck.

Mehdi K. Mazaheri, MD

Activity after mastopexy

Thank you for your question.  Always best to check with your surgeon.  In my practice I would tell you to limit cardio activity or anything that increases heart rate or blood pressure for 3-4 weeks to avoid bleeding (hematoma).  I also advise patients to avoid heaving lifting (>10-15 pounds) for 6 weeks.  Good luck.  

Breast surgery recovery

It depends what type of activity you are interested in doing.  Light exercise such as walking can be done earlier than lifting weights.  It is best to discuss with your surgeon when you can begin doing certain types of activity.  He/She knows best the details of your surgery and how you are progressing through recovery.

Camille Cash, MD

Mastopexy post op instructions

Thank you for your question.  It is always best to discuss any questions or concerns regarding your postoperative instructions with your operating surgeon and each surgeon has their own unique set of instructions tailored to provide their patient s with the best possible outcomes.  That being said, most patients are able to retrun to full exercise, except for chest and shoulder exercises like bench presses and shoulder presses , two weeks after surgery.  In our practice we advise patients to wait a minimum of 3 months before engaging in any chest exercises.  

With kind regards,
Lane F. Smith, M.D., F.A.A.C.S., F.A.O.H.N.S., F.A.B.F.P.R.S.

Lane Smith, MD