How to schedule vaginal rejuvenation and mommy makeover?

I want to have vaginal rejuvenation and a mommy makeover (tummy tuck and breast lift with impant). However, I'm looking at separate doctors for the surgeries. Am I better off having one before the other? How long do I have to wait before I should have the second surgery?

Tummy tuck should be done before vaginal rejuvenation as a general rule

I do this combo frequently at the same time, but it only works if the surgeon is expert at both procedures. Otherwise do the vaginal rejuvenation elsewhere afterwards once you're healed. The reason for doing the tummy tuck first is that the pull on the lower abdomen generated by the tummy tuck can pull the labia majora anteriorly and change the alignment of the vulva. If you do the vaginal rejuvenation first, the perineum will move too far anteriorly and need to be re-done.

Mommy Makeover and Vaginal Rejuvenation

That is a good question.  I would suggest doing the procedures at different times.  Abdominoplasty or liposuction can cause swelling in the pubic area and this may affect the results of a labiaplasty.  For this reason, I would suggest separating the procedures by at least 2-3 months.  Which order you choose is not as important.  I would suggest doing the procedure that you want more first.  

Good Luck

David Shafer, MD

Listen to good advice from surgeons you trust. And do what feels right for you!

Thank you girlie2016 for the excellent question! Truth is, this is your body and your surgery, and you should do what you feel is best. If you’re in great health and you understand and follow the recommended requirements for your recovery period(s), you will do well whether you choose to have them all done at one time, or with multiple surgeons. I traditionally do labiaplasty with local anesthesia, and patients do extremely well. When I am combining labiaplasty with another surgery such as a mommy makeover, I will do all of these surgeries under general anesthesia. If you’re separating your tuck and breast lift from labiaplasty as a separate procedure, you may ask your surgeon about anesthesia options, also.

I wish you all the best!
Sincerely,
Jenn Harrington, MD

Vaginal rejuvenation & Mommy Makeover

Combining vaginal rejuvetion and mommy makeover is the ultimate mommy makeover. This is very common in our practice. We commonly combine both. However, the sequence of the procedures really depends on your needs and the skills of your plastic surgeon. This decision should be made with your Plastic Surgeon.

Below are other criteria to use when selecting a Plastic surgeon for vaginal rejuvenation & mommy makeover

Questions to ask your potential plastic surgeon (Answering NO is a big red flag)

1) Are you a plastic surgeon? (You should research the differences between cosmetic surgeon & plastic surgeon. Make sure that your plastic surgeon is a trained surgeon! You may be surprised)
2) Are you board certified in Plastic Surgery? (Board certified in what? You are looking for the American Board of Plastic Surgery. There are many boards and some are fake. Make sure that the certifying board is a member board of the American Board of Medical Specialties or the American Osteopathic Association.)
3) Will the procedure be performed at a fully accredited & certified procedure room or ambulatory surgery center, or hospital
4) Do you have hospital privilege to perform the same procedure you do in the office? Which Hospital?
5) Do you offer complication insurance. How do you handle complications and revision (it does happen, it better to be safe)

The most important decision is to do your homework well. Good luck.

Stanley Okoro, MD

Mommy Makeover with vaginal rejuvenation

Adding a vaginal rejuvenation or labiaplasty procedure to your Mommy Makeover is a great addition! I personally like to perform all procedures (tummy tuck, breast lift with implants and labiaplasty) myself during 1 surgery. As long as the patient is healthy, it is usually very safe and effective to perform all of these procedures at once. It is generally more cost effective to do it all at once and then you also only have to go through recovery once. Please make sure you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in performing all of these procedures. Good luck!

Jimmy S. Firouz, MD, FACS

How long between surgeries?

I'm not sure what reasoning you had for wanting separate doctors for the surgeries, but they can all be combined safely if you'd prefer having one surgeon do the entire procedure. If you want them separated, having the bigger surgeries done first is what I would suggest.

Thank you for your question and good luck!

Melinda Lacerna, MD FACS

Good question.

Of all the procedures in which you expressed interest, the longest recovery will be from your tummy tuck. What you want to do is prioritize what most concerns you and consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon who can advise you on the optimal treatment plan and combinations of procedures. 

Our first priority is patient safety. The lengthier your procedure, the higher the risk of complications. 

If you are in doubt after your first consultation, consider a second or even third opinion before scheduling your surgery. 

Best of luck to you.

Ram Kalus, MD
Mount Pleasant Plastic Surgeon

Mommy makever and labioplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. It is common to have both of these procedures done by the same surgeon, if you find a surgeon you are comfortable with.  It is very important that you thoroughly research your surgeon before committing to surgery. It is a good idea to research your surgeon's educational background, online reviews, before & after pictures, and speak with anyone who you may know who has had surgery with that surgeon. During your consultation, make sure that you don't feel rushed and make sure that you have adequate time with your surgeon and not just their patient coordinator or nurses. If the majority of your consultation is spent with someone other than the surgeon, this is usually not a good sign. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified expert surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Combining procedures

Combining procedures is not uncommon and two different surgeons working together on the same day is also possible.  You need to speak with your surgeons about this and be sure that the two of them have spoken and agree that it is safe for you to do all the procedures together or should them be done separately. 

Mommy makeover can include vaginal rejuvenation

It is common to combine vaginal rejuvenation with a mommy makeover. I perform these procedures together by in certain instances we will do them separately. Good luck. 

Gaurav Bharti, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon