Im a bodybuilder. I had a tummy tuck 3 weeks ago. When should I resume the hard exercise including big weights and abs?

When to get this body builder back to the weights

Great question. Ask your surgeon and be careful.
I let my patients get back to arm and leg weights at 4 weeks, but not weights that require torso strength, like squats and crunches.

You will lose some strength during your time off. When your plastic surgeon gives the 'ok', start with much lower weights than before and build up.

I would normally leave abs and weight lifting for 6 weeks post TT but I would ask your PS this question and let him/her advise you

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Exercise regimen after abdominoplasty should be done according to the instructions of your own surgeon.

In my practice patients are not permitted to do exercises that target the abdominal wall for six weeks. They then gradually increase so that full activity is permitted at three months.

Tummy Tuck and exercise

Follow the instructions of your plastic surgeon. I understand it may be tempting to head back to the gym right away. But you need to follow your doctors orders. be patient and you will be happiest with your outcome. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Knee jerk answer is 6-8 weeks

Pretty much everyone will say 6-8 weeks but you being a bodybuilder scares me a little.  You may want to look at 8 weeks as the bare minimum, especially if you are doing Olympic lifting which is hugely core-dominant.  You've spent good money and want the best result possible so give it time.  Ease into things at 8 weeks and listen to your body! Oh and Go Dawgs!!

Resuming Exercise After a Tummy Tuck

I have my patients wait six weeks before resuming any formal type of exercise.  Start slowly and listen to your body, take your time and build back up gradually.You should get clearance from your surgeon before resuming heavy weights. Good luck.

Miguel Delgado, MD

How soon to resume exercise after abdominoplasty

I let my patients do cardio as soon after 1 week as they feel comfortable:  beyond that time the risk of causing bleeding or an acute injury is negligible.  The muscle plication has reached 50% of it's full healing strength at about 6 weeks, and similar to a hernia repair or tendon repair, exercises that focus on core muscle strength can begin slowly at that time, but I think it is best to wait 10 weeks for heavy weights, sit ups etc.  I have never had a problem with these recommendations in over 800 abdominoplasties.

Vigorous activities after a TT

On average it is best to wait 6 to 8 weeks before beginning vigorous activities after an abdominoplasty.  Follow your plastic surgeons recommendations.