When Can I Lift my Kids After Breast Augmentation?

Ater have breast augmentation when would I be able to lift my baby and toddler?

Lifting little ones after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. You definitely want to follow your own surgeon's post-op activity instructions. This is a general guide I give to my patients as to the recovery
Week 1) Discomfort and tightness level progressively decreases with each day. Swelling decreases a great deal after one week. Most people return to work in some capacity.
Week 2) Unlikely to need any narcotic support except maybe at night. Swelling and tightness continues to improve compared to week 1
Weeks 3-6) May need tylenol or ibuprofen for intermittent discomfort. Swelling completely resolved. Tightness may continue as the implants over an additional few months into their final position.

As far as activity, here is a safe guide:
1) No heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 6 weeks (a gallon of milk as a guide).
2) Resume walking at a leisurely pace right after surgery (e.g. 2 mph)
3) At 2 weeks, you can walk 2 miles at 2mph
4) At 3 weeks, you can walk 3 miles at 3mph
5) At 4 weeks, you can walk 4 miles at 4mph
6) At 5 weeks, you can jog 5 miles at 5mph
7) At 6 weeks, you can resume all activities, but listen to your body and use discomfort or tightness as a guide so you don't over do it.

So as far as the little ones, I would recommend having help for basic needs like lifting into the car seat. You can cuddle with them while you are sitting down, but you should avoid the tendency to multitask with one child in your arms while you are busy doing other tasks.

Lifting Kids After Breast Augmentation

You'll probably want to wait for at least 6 weeks before lifting your children. However, please listen to your surgeon. They may have different advice.

Lifting breast implant augmentation lifting restrictions

All surgeons may have different recommendations depending on the over or over muscle placement. Your best bet is to ask your surgeon but I generally advise a minimum of 2 weeks with good body mechanics when lifting.

Lifting after Breast Augmentation

When you can lift after Breast Augmentation varies somewhat by the technique used. If the implants are submuscular, you will have moderate discomfort and difficulty lifting for one to several weeks. If the implant is over the muscle, my personal choice for most people, you can lift almost immediately, though there will be some soreness.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon