Severe Ingrown hairs I can't get rid of?

I'm a 19 year old male that hasn't seemed to find the remedy to my ingrown hairs. This being a constant battle since my freshman year, has ultimately ruined my confidence in almost every aspect and has only dragged me down to a complete halt in my life. I shower daily and put a lot of attention into my skin, but it doesn't seem to do much. I often exfoliate daily and try to stick with gentle cleaners because my skin can become so irritable. Will I ever be able to climb out of this hole ?

Laser Hair Removal

Thank you for your question in regards to laser hair removal. Laser hair removal treatments help with correcting ingrown hairs, although it will remove the hair follicle. It was not mentioned what area of the body you are having ingrown hair problems with nor if you are interested in hair removal. If you are not seeking hair removal, it may be best to visit a dermatologist. To be sure what is best for you, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment. I hope this helps.

Medication or Laser Hair Removal for Ingrowns

You don't say if you have seen a dermatologist for the ingrown hairs or used medications, so my suggestion would be to first go to see board-certified dermatologist. They need to figure out the root cause of your problem and then treat you appropriately with medication. With the right medications and shaving techniques, ingrown hairs can very often be well-controlled. If this does not help or you are simply not interested in going this route, I would suggest laser hair removal. Laser hair removal can be very helpful for those struggling with ingrowns, as the objective here is to eliminate the hair altogether. Whatever you decide, this is not something you have to live with - it can be successfully treated as long as you first put in the work to find a good board-certified dermatologist to help you and then second, follow their recommendations and treatment plan.

Dennis Gross, MD

Ingrown hair

Laser hair removal is a great solution to ingrown hair, but you don't say where on your body this is happening.  If you are talking about your face, you may not want permanent hair removal/reduction at your young age.  Seek a qualified skin care specialist.  You may benefit from a more tailored skincare regimen.  Good luck to you, I know this can be very frustrating, but there is help!

Suzan McGary, MD
Williamsport Thoracic Surgeon

Ingrown Hairs -- Do Laser Hair Removal

ingrown hairs can be removed with laser hair removal.  Please see an expert for a formal evaluation.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Treatment of Ingrown Hairs With Laser Hair Removal

Laser hair removal works great to get rid of ingrown hairs. Multiple treatments will be needed for adequate clearance. Make sure you find an experienced provider who has a laser device that is safe for all skin types to avoid treatment complications. Best wishes.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Fix for ingrown hairs is laser hair removal

The ultimate fix for this problem is laser hair removal. It will work quite quickly too. Make sure you go to an office that has the right laser and experience for your skin type.

Steven F. Weiner, MD