Asymmetry and Droopy Lower Lids After Blepharoplasty - Revision Options?

In 2007 I had upper and lower Bleph. Incisions were on the outside of the lids. The lower lid incisions were too low and aggressive (according to my ophthalmologist). I am trying to determine what would be the most appropriate procedure(s) to repair the asymmetry and droopy lower lids, that would have the greatest chance of success in correcting this very unattractive problem.

Doctor Answers 3

Lower lid repair

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Lower lid bleph is not to be taken casually as it is riskier than upper lid surgery.  You should go to an experienced plastic surgeon or ophalmologist and will likely need a canthal tightening of the lids to elevate the sagging lower outer corners.  This might make the eyes look narrower or Asian however so be sure that you understand this since you can always leave them alone as is.

Lower eyelid drooping post blepharoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hello, This 'bowing' of the lower eyelids can been seen after lower eyelid blepharoplasty. Depending on how much scarring is located in the eyelids, often the best option for improving this condition is a canthoplasty - or elevation and tightening of the lower eyelid. These surgeries can be tricky, so make sure to see someone with expertise in eyelid surgery. Good luck.

Gary Lelli, Jr., MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lower eyelid blepharoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It appears that the lower eyelids have become out turned (ectropion) and pulled down (retracted) following your surgery. These are complications of lower eyelid blepharoplasty.

Although some surgeons would recommend tightening of the lower eyelids(canthoplasty), this procedure when performed alone would likely not improve or may worsen your condition.

In order to correct your lower eyelid appearance and position, both the front and back of the eyelid would need to be "built up"  along with eyelid tightening.  In addition, fat re-positioning or grafting would improve the hollowed appearance of your eyelids. Most of these procedures can be performed through an incision on the inside of the eyelid.

An oculoplastic surgeon would be best be suited to deal with your issues. I recommend finding an experienced surgeon who has dealt with type of problem.

Adam J. Cohen, MD
Glenview Oculoplastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.