I Have Asymmetrical Eyelids. Can This Be Fixed?

I have asymmetrical eyes, one eye is larger than the other. However, the one thing that bothers me the most is my eyelids. My right eyelid crease appears to be a lot higher (larger) than my left. I am satisfied with my left crease, which is smaller, and would like to have my right eye be symmetrical to my left. Is this possible. If so, what are the prices I am looking at?

Correcting asymmetric eyelids

Asymmetry of the eyelids can be caused by a variety of problems including drooping of one lid. Asymmetric eyelid folds. Orbital bone asymmetries can exist. Drooping or ptosis of one eyelid can cause over lifting of the opposite side adding to the asymmetries. These can all be corrected with surgery.

Prices can be found on the Real Self site and ASPS

Correcting asymmetric eyelids

Almost everyone has asymmetrical eyelids. The degree of asymmetry is variable. Asymmetrical eyelids can be adjusted through asymmetric surgery. Sometimes the lower crease can be adjusted higher by removing more excess fat on that side and sometimes even a small strip of the orbicularis oculi muscles. The upper blepharoplasty is approximately $3000, which includes anesthesia, operating room fees , and the surgeon’s fee.  

Asymmetric eyelids and surgery

There could be several reasons for Eyelids Asymmetry. The most common is Ptosis, where the eyelid margin is closer to the pupil on one side compare to the other side. If it is the case a Ptosis repair will be warranted and most probably paid by your medical insurance. If it is not the case, but your crease is higher on one side, then a new crease can be created on the side that you don't like. Be aware that usually it is rare that both creases are exactly symmetrical, 1mm difference is usually acceptable. 

Henri P. Gaboriau, MD, FACS

Uneven upper lid creases may be the sign of a medical problem

I would suggest you see an ophthalmologist if you have one eyelid crease significantly higher than the other. This could be a sign of a droopy lid (ptosis). If you do not have signs of upper lid ptosis, your surgeon can probably improve your upper lid symmetry.

Theda C. Kontis, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon