Asymmetrical Breasts. Im 16 and Id Like to Get This Fixed, but Id Like It to Be Permanent. Suggestions?

I was born with no muscle on my left side, barely noticeable. The doctors said that my breasts will grow evenly. Ever since I was 9 I had to stuff the left side of my bra. I get really self conscious wearing tank tops or shirts that show my chest, mostly because under my collar bone I have a hollow area where there should be muscle and alot of people point it out. I cant wear a bathing suit secure enough to cover it up. I turn 17 in Feb 2013 and I want to get surgery summer of 2013.

Doctor Answers 4

Breast assymetry

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I think you should see a board certified plastic syrgeon to get an evalaution.REalize this will probably not be forever since you are youn will probably marry and have kids.Your breasts will change with time.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 69 reviews

Breast Asymmetry

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question.   An examination with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon is probably a good idea.   Breast asymmetry can be surgically improved.  The best surgical option can be offered after the examination.  Often times, breast augmentation alone or in conjunction with muscle flaps can improve the situation.  After the exam, conversations about what to do and when to do the surgery should occur.     What you are describing might be Poland's Syndrome.  Good luck!


#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }  

Jonathan Berman, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 19 reviews

Breast Asymmetry is fixable

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

No two women's breasts are exactly symmetrical, but the variation is usually minor.  There is a condition called Poland's Syndrome where the pectoralis muscle and the breast do not develop normally.  There are different degrees of Poland's syndrome, some more severe than others.  All, part or sometimes none of the muscle is missing.  The breast tissue is always hypoplastic.

If the muscle is completely missing, then a transfer of muscle from the back (Latissimus Dorsi muscle) would be necessary.  However, if just part of the muscle is missing, than a breast or chest implant might be able to hide the deformity quite adequately.

If there is a lot of size difference between the breasts then a breast implant or tissue expander is needed.  When someone is young and still developing breast size, than I would place a tissue expander/implant that can be adjusted as you are growing.  The tissue expander has a fill port that allows small amounts of saline to be added to adjust to the other side. The skin slowly stretches with time to match the opposite side.  I have placed these in women as young as 15.  Once the breast development has stopped the expander can be replaced with a permanent implant.  This way you do not have suffer through your teenage years with 2 different sized breasts.  Of course every person is different and the approach would vary from person to person.  A consultation with a Board Certified plastic surgeon who specializes in breast surgery would be necessary to determine your best course of action.

Some insurance companies will even pay for this procedure because it is considered a congenital defect.

Good Luck!



David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 83 reviews

Surgery For Poland's Syndrome

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The condition that you described (lack of muscle and normal breast development on one side of chest) is called Poland's syndrome.  I treat this usually with a transfer of muscle from the back (latissimus) plus an implant.  You should wait until your other breast has fully developed before undergoing this procedure.

John Whitt, MD (retired)
Louisville Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.