Asymmetric Jaw Surgery or Chin Implant?

I've had surgery on my jaw when I was 18 due to sysmetry. I'm not sure if they cut the top part of my jaw, or the lower part. However, I am now seeing that there may be bone decay on one the right top joint in my jaw, and that the lower left side is growing. No one will tell me what's wrong or how to correct it. I may have TMJ, or arthritis, since I have a history of juvinile arthritis. I'm would like my face to look the same from both profiles and also want to know why it's growing and decaying?

Doctor Answers 2

You should consult an oral surgeon or craniofacial plastic surgeon.

First of all, you have had both midface surgery (upper teeth area) as evidenced by the presence of plates and screws on your X-rays, as well as jaw surgery identified by two bone screws at each mandibular angle. Clearly, you also have asymmetry in the left versus right jawline anteriorly, and this may be improved by additional surgery. This would not be done with a chin implant, but with mandible (jawbone) bone grafts or onlay grafts with one of several alloplastic materials, including Medpore, hydroxyapatite, or even hydroxyapatite granules. Your TMJ areas also need evaluation in addition to your cosmetic concerns, and I would recommend consultation with an experienced oral surgeon or plastic surgeon with craniofacial experience. Good luck!

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 255 reviews

Custom Implants for Jaw Asymmetry

By your x-ray you had both upper and lower jaw surgery. (bimaxillary orthognathic surgery) Based on just this x-ray it is not possible to say that the bones are still growing and most certainly not that there is ongoing bone resorption. (both are unlikely at this point) To improve your jawline/facial asymmetry, you are going to need custom implants made off of a 3D CT scan to get optimal correction and restoration of symmetry.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD
Indianapolis Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 72 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.