Asymmetric Cheeks/face

Female, 21, 5'5" 147 lb. What are my options in regards to the contours of my face? The left side has always been much "thinner" looking whereas the right side always seems rounder. I'd very much like to improve upon my facial structure and bring out the cheekbones that I know are hiding.

Doctor Answers 6

Correcting Cheek Asymmetry

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Without an exam or additional photos at different angles it is difficult to tell. However, from the one photo you provided, I think that a modest increased volume of your left cheek would be of benefit to restoring a more symmetric appearance. Fat Grafting (fat transfer) by lipoinjection can improve your appearance  but is not totally predictable. You will have to weigh Fillers vs Fat Grafting.
Pro: Fat Transfer by lipoinjection is more of a permanent solution.                                 
    Con: Because the amount of fat that survives is variable you may need to do additional treatments. Further as the fat transferred behaves like fat from the donor site, if you gain a lot of weight the fat transfer will also increase with volume.
Pro: Fillers: such as Radiesse, Jeuvederm, Restylane, Perlane, Sculptra and others can give you an idea of your improvement and if you are unhappy with it, it will dissipate over time.

Asymmetric face

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

From this view you do seem to have some flattening of your left cheek compared to your right. I would recommend you try some filler to even it out such as Radiesse and see how you like it before doing anything more drastic. More significant however is the ptosis of your left upper lid. This is also causing you subconsciously to keep your left eyebrow elevated which is draws more attention to and creates more asymmetry. you should see an oculoplastic surgeon about repairing this.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

Asymetry of the face

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The simplest way to enhance you cheeks is with a strong filler such as Radiesse. I  have never been a big fan of silicone cheek implants but, you shoul consider them as well.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD
Los Angeles Facial Plastic Surgeon

You might also like...

You have slight facial asymmetry.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You also have a compensatory left eyebrow flare and a left upper eyelid ptosis.  Regarding the face, I do not think facial asymmetry is really a big issue here.  A much bigger issue is the under eye hollows and the midcheek  groove that is developing in the face.  Restylane and Perlane are idea fillers for addressing these concerns.  Unlike Sculptra and Radiesse, these materials can be adjusted if needed.  I do not recommend Juvederm for the under eye because its smooth character means that for some, the products does not always hold in the lower eyelid as needed.  I think this product is better for other locations.


Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Fillers for the face

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I agree that without pictures from multiple angles or seeing you in person, it is impossible to give you specific advice.  However, facial fillers such as Radiesse, Juvederm or Sculptra can be very helpful in improving symmetry of the face and adding volume.


Good Luck.

Cheek surgery.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is not possible to tell you anything based on the one photo. You need to send photos of the front and profile and 3/4 view to give a proper answer to your question.

Toby Mayer, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 38 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.