ASPS Importance for Breast Lift/Augmentation?

I was just about to pick up the phone to make appointment to have consultation for BL & BA, when I noticed from PS's website that it doesn't mention ASPS, just something about AAAASF. I couldn't find his information from www.plasticsurgery.org either. His before & after gallery is very impressive, as well as his reviews I was able to find online. This is hopefully once in a lifetime- procedure to me and I would love to be on hands I can trust. What is the experts opinion on this matter?

Plastic surgeon qualifications

The American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) is the only Board which approves board certification.  The American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS) is recognized by the ABMS.  You should see a plastic surgeon who is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Most board certified plastic surgeons are members of either or both the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) and the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS).  Membership in those societies is not mandatory.

Usually credentials are prominently displayed in offices and especially on web sites.  Patients should not have to search for very long if at all to determine the board certification or any qualifications of their doctor.

AAAASF is a national organization that accredits offices and operation room facilities. Your surgery should be performed in an accredited facility.  You should also ask for the credentials of the anesthesia provider who will be performing your anesthesia.

Thank you for a very good question.  Good luck.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Qualifications

The ASPS is a society which board certified plastic surgeons can join. So if your surgeon is a member of this society I think the main advantage is you will know that he is a board certified plastic surgeon. To check on the certification of your doctor go to the American Board of Medical Specialties website ( the link is included below ) and register and you will be able to see what real certifications your doctor has. I say real because the only real certification for plastic surgeons comes from the American Board of Plastic Surgery and I have seen doctors who are not certified by this board claim to be board certified plastic surgeons.

David E. Kim, MD

Choosing Plastic Surgeon for Breast Augmentation/Lifting?

Thank you for the important question. Unfortunately, differentiating the credentials of the variety of physicians who wish to provide "cosmetic surgery" services, can be very confusing to patients. Also unfortunately, there is no strict regulation set up to protect the consumer by state or national medical regulatory organizations. Therefore, patients must take the responsibility to ask the question: what are you board-certified in?
The American Board of Plastic Surgery is the only board recognized by the American Board of medical specialties. Confirming that your surgeon is certified by the American Board of plastic surgeon is very important; this will assure you that your surgeon's undergone rigorous training, testing, and continued medical education necessary to become and remain board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
Plastic surgeons who are certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery are then potential candidates to join the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery. These societies will have lists of their plastic surgeon members; these lists may be helpful when patients are seeking a board-certified plastic surgeon. in the process of selecting a plastic surgery I also encourage patients to ask to SEE lots of examples of their work AND preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.
Be very careful with your decision-making. You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Be very careful with your decision-making. You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
Again, I cannot overemphasize the importance of careful selection of plastic surgeon when it comes to concerns such as safety, achievement of the desired outcome, and ability to manage complications that may arise (even in the best of hands). Keep in mind that revisionary surgery may be more costly in many ways. I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes.

Picking your plastic surgeon

Please visit with a plastic surgeon who is a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons and who is board certified specifically by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  Your can find a ASPS member surgeon in your area from the plasticsurgery.org website.  Best of luck!

Should a plastic surgeon do my breast surgery?

While it is imprudent to comment on any individuals qualifications and work without thorough knowledge, in general, breast augmentation and lift being plastic surgical procedures, you are best off finding a surgeon fully trained in the specialty, and one who has demonstrated to his or her peers that he/she is qualified in the principles and practice of plastic surgery.

Steve Laverson, MD