Asian Epicanthoplasty for Mixed Heritage (photo)

I wish to change the shape of my inner corners of the eyes to have similar shape to that of east- asian and since im mixed (black,white samì) im unsure if its possible to alter it from the shape they have now and which doctor with what expertise areas he/she should have?

Doctor Answers 5

Unhappy with inner eye fold

Thank you for asking about a blepharoplasty to correct the shape of your eyes.

  1. your photograph shows an epicanthal fold, 'inner eye fold.'
  2. This can be corrected. It requires precision and magnification.
  3. Results can be lovely - or may leave scarring which cannot be corrected.
  4. You should consult a well-trained Plastic or Ophthalmoplastic surgeon who sees a large number of Asian and mixed-Asian people if you decide to have it done. Best wishes.

Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

Asian blepharoplasty and epicanthoplasty changing to have a sharp corner

Actually you have epicanthal folds more than that picture you desire. So the solution would be to have the epicanthal fold procedure to pull in the slightly extra skin you have in the epicanthal fold area. You have type 2 epicanthal folds.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 84 reviews

Not accurate to say that epicanthoplasty is commonly performed.

It is accurate to say that many surgeons do not recommend epicanthoplasty because it leaves scars in a visible area of the face.  Unlike double fold surgery where the scar tucks into the upper eyelid fold, epicanthoplasty must be performed in plain sight.  This can be amazing or it can create just awful scars.  For that reason, many very experienced Asian eyelid surgeons will advise against this option.  What is right for you?  I think it is reasonable to seek opinions from surgeons who routinely do Asian eyelid surgery, have them evaluate you and see what they recommend.  I would stick with Facial Plastic, General Plastic or Oculoplastic surgeons who devote a significant portion of their practice to Asian eyelid surgery.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Epicanthoplasty for mixed eyes

It's worth exploring.  First, and this may be tough in Norway, you should meet with someone who performs a lot of Asian eyelid surgery or at least focuses on eyelid surgery primarily.  Some of the excess skin at the inner-corner of your eye can be rearranged to give it a sharper look but it's unlikely it would be quite as sharp as the example you've given here.  The reasons for the slight limitation are these:

1.  You skin is thicker than this model but you can still do it.

2.  The overall fullness of your lids around the epicanthus is more than the models.

3.  Finally, and this is the case with all patients, there is a limit to how much the skin can be rearranged because your tear-drainage system is beneath this area you're interested in changing.

You'll have a nice improvement, just have reasonable expectation.  You may need to find a doctor that lives and works in a large Asian community in Europe.

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 75 reviews

Altering the inner corners of your eyes

It would be worthwhile to remove the excess inner corner skin (epicanthoplasty) to give it a sharper inner corner to the eyes. This is a commonly performed procedure when indicated. There are four general types of inner corner shapes in Asian eyes. While you won't end up looking like the model photo you posted, it will improve the appearance of your eyes.

Charles S. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 78 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.