I Am Not Asian but I Look Asian. How Can I Change This?

I have double eyelids but the the corners of my eyes that are closest to my nose angle downwards and make me look asian. Is there any way i can make that part of my eye more upright without surgery? if not, what are my other options?

Doctor Answers 4

Extreme caution is recommended here.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Dear Texasboy Agree that photos would be helpful. However nothing replaces an actual examination. What you are describing is what is called an inside fold. Taking this to an outside fold can be done using a Parks epicanthoplasty. Unfortunately if this does not heal well, which is a risk even when surgery is perfectly done, you will be left with visible scars. Regarding what type of surgeon to see, you need to find a surgeon who devotes a great deal of their practice to eyelid work. Do your homework and avoid smooth talking surgeons. If they tell you that they do this type of surgery every day of the week, you are most likely getting your leg pulled. These are rare procedure because the risk of an adverse outcome is high. Please govern yourself accordingly.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Please send pictures

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The treatment option will depend on the physical findings. Please attach pictures . There are surgical treatment to change the upper eyelid.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 154 reviews

Less asian eye

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Many patients of different ethnic backgrounds can have an "Asian" look to their eye medially (close to the nose).  When an upper  blepharoplasty is performed, this area can be surgically addressed and changed.  You need to find a skilled facial plastic surgeon to examine you and determine your needs.  Good luck!

Yael Halaas, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

Picture needed

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Without a picture it is difficult to see what it is you do not like about yourself. Changing the lid angle without surgery is not possible, with surgery scars would result.

You need to be evaluated by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. 

Walter D. Gracia, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 3 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.