Is there a way to know if I was born with a deviated septum or if I accidentally broke my nose as a kid?

Im the only person in my family who has a deviated septum. yeah, sure, all my family members dont have perfect noses but none of them have a deviated septum and i was wondering if maybe i wasnt born with it? maybe i broke it? is there a way for me to find out which one it is? thank you!

There isn't a way to know and be positive.  Sometimes in surgery the septal cartilage is so broken I know it must have been caused by a trauma.  Other times, it's bent, twisted or crooked and it's hard to tell why.  Some people even think babies may get some crush injury from being born, the nose gets smashed through the birth canal. It's impossible to say for sure, but the good news is, it doesn't matter.  We would do the same surgery and treat the crooked cartilage the same way no matter what the cause.Best of luckDr Rodman

Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon