Alloderm for nasolabial fold?

Hi, I'm 30 yo woman. Recently I notice that I have mild nasolabial fold n my doctor suggested me to have surgical treatment with Alloderm or cartilage to lift the skin? Is this safe n recommended procedure? Tx u for the info

Nasolabial fold treatment

At your age the nasolabial folds are just becoming noticeable. I use Alloderm, which is a surgical mesh, in breast reconstruction and tummy tucks, but it would not be in my suggestion box for treatment of the nasolabial folds. Improvement in the depth of these folds can be done with Radiesse dermal filler for correction of up to 12 months or more. Another option is a skin tightening laser treatment such as Fractora. I would be happy to treat you in our San Diego office.

Alloderm for nasolabial fold?

I would personally not use Alloderm to treat this condition.
A filler such as Juvederm would potentially soften this area without surgery.  Alternatively, definitive surgical correction may be possible with a mid face lift.

Paul H. Rhee, MD, FACS
Castle Rock Plastic Surgeon

Long term lip augmentation with dermal grafts

Long term lip augmentation is usually best achieved with a dermal graft that is harvested from your own body. One of the best places on your body to get dermis is the crease in your gluteal fold.  The scar is almost imperceptible . The graft can be harvested and placed under a local anesthetic .A dermal graft is like placing your own collagen into your lip. Unlike fat, it will usually stay forever. Alloderm does not work well in the lip long term, the body usually breaks it down with in a 6-12 month period. Fillers like Juvederm and Restylane  are great for short term results, but continued injections into your lips can potentially cause scarring and become very expensive over time. I suggest you start with fillers and if you like how your lips look, then consider a dermal graft

Hardly

Mild nasolabial fold deepening can be corrected completely for a year with Juvederm Ultra plus. It gives immediate results without surgery and after years of using it the results persist longer each time it is used in most patients. Even very deep folds improve dramatically when more product is used. That is what the vast majority of Plastic Surgeons and Dermatologists recommend for this problem. 

Richard Zienowicz, MD
Providence Plastic Surgeon

Alloderm is cadaveric human skin collagen.

It is useful for certain applications.  However, filling is not one of those applications.  After about 3 months, your body will have removed all of this material and with it, most of the volumetric effect will disappear.  The hyaluronic acid fillers like Restylane and Restylane Lyft are much better for this location.  The service with these produces is a simple office based service and longevity is 6 to 12 months.  If there is ever an issue with the product, it can be removed with an injection of enzyme.  Look for experienced injectors for these services.

Nasolabial Folds

Thank you for you inquiry! Nasolabial folds are commonly treatment with injection fillers. You are a young woman and would benefit immensely from this treatment. The results are subtle but noticeable and immediate. If you’re looking to restore some smoothness and body to your face, fillers can help. Fillers  will smoothen out your skin and wipe away wrinkles. The result is bringing out, and enhancing, the natural beauty of your skin without having to partake in traditional cosmetic surgery.
Unlike collagen injections, this non-surgical facial rejuvenation relies on a natural substance to restore vitality and youthfulness to your face. In addition to the cosmetic benefits, this means it does not have a risk of infection. There is a small risk of complications such as bruising and swelling, and minor pain or headaches. Juvederm, Belotero, Emervel, Radiesse and Restylane are all great fillers that may be an option for you. Best of luck,

Nasolabial Fold

Thank you for your question.  Alloderm wouldn't be my first choice to correct a nasolabial fold defect but that doesn't mean that it can't work.  I would recommend talking with your plastic surgeon and make sure you see their past results.  If you are happy with these results and feel comfortable, I feel it would be reasonable to proceed.  Just make sure you know all of your options (e.g. fat grafting, filler).  Best of Luck!

Aaron D. Smith, MD
Colorado Springs Plastic Surgeon