Does weight fluctuation make me a bad candidate for a Biltmore Lift from Dr. Harley?

My weight fluctuates about 20 pounds throughout my life. I would love to think I'll be a consistent weight forever, but for me, that's not realistic. Does this mean that I am NOT a good candidate to get the Biltmore Lift (neck lift/fat removal) from Dr. Harley? If I CAN still do it, would it be better to do it when I am at a higher or lower weight?

Weight and Necklift

Face and necklifts are surgical procedure that results can be affected by the patients weight.  It is best to have the surgery when patients are at their lower weight range.  If you have the surgery at your higher weight range, you may have some loose skin after you lose the 20 lbs.  I hope this helps.  

Weight fluctuation for a facelift procedure

When performing a facelift procedure, it's best to be at your ideal body weight. Losing 20 pounds of weight will allow deflation of the face and neck, therefore additional excess skin can be removed for a better improvement. Choose your surgeon based on extensive experience with face and neck lift procedures, and their before-and-after results. In our practice, we perform a high-SMAS face and neck lift which includes lifting the jowls, removing fatty deposits located in the neck, tightening the neck muscles in three locations, and tightening loose facial and neck skin.

Neck Lift

Thank you for your question. I suggest that you consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon. We do not perform surgery on patients who have experienced a rapid weight loss. 20 pounds is not a rapid weight loss, and it may be best for your surgeon to perform a procedure on you when you are at the median point of your typical fluctuation. Please be sure to discuss this feature with your surgeon in your consultation.Best wishes,

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Does weight fluctuation make me a bad candidate for a Lift?

Hi, I have performed facelifts for over 30 years and have performed many minimally, invasive type facelifts.  Non smiling photos of your face from the front and side would help in the evaluation.  There are many different names being used for facelifts and neck lifts but it's important to concentrate on what these procedures can do or not do to make the face more youthful and naturally, attractive. Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face. If the chin is weak, this creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.   I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick and highly effective.

If you have "jowls” these are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift.  The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last).  The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane, cheek lift and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:
  • very small incisions
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery ( several days instead of weeks or months with the more invasive type facelifts mentioned)
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op
I combine facial shaping with every facelift procedure.  When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face. If there is excess fat in the face, this can be reduced with liposuction making the face less affected by any subsequent gain in weight (certainly within 20 pounds or so).

Hope this helps.