Do you think the puffiness in my right nipple will go down? It feels like their is still tissue or scar tissue in there? (photos

I'm hoping I'm not gonna need a revision, but it looks puffy and I'm hoping that it goes away without a revision

When to Consider a Revision to Gynecomastia Surgery

Your #incisions will go through a maturation process
following #Gynecomastia surgery . For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff. Typically, its best to wait at least one year following the initial surgery to consider a revision.

Puffiness Under the Nipple After Gynecomastia Surgery

Hi FrankNC07,

It is hard to answer your question because you don't mention when the surgery was performed. Where you are on the healing timeline will allow me to direct my answer more to whether this is swelling or scar tissue. Of course the other possibility is that it is under-resection. If this side has always been puffy since the surgery and has not gone down, then it may be under-resection. If it was flatter and now has recently increased in size it could be scar tissue formation or increase in swelling.

Hope that helps,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Puffy nipple/ areola

It is not clear what was done and when it was done. Time usually helps swelling subside and scar tissue soften. In addition, massage to the area can be helpful and sometimes a steroid shot will speed things along. Best to express your concerns to your operating surgeon and get their input as to your progress.

Male Breast Reduction | Gynecomastia Surgery

Thank you for your question.  You will need to provide additional information for an adequate answer.

When did you have surgery and what exactly did you have done.

It is probably best to follow up directly with your plastic surgeon.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Swelling may persist for months after gynecomastia surgery.

Judging from the redness in the scar I would suspect that you still have a sizable amount of swelling. It's best to remain patient for now to see if this will spontaneously resolve.

Do you think the puffiness in my right nipple will go down? It feels like their is still tissue or scar tissue in there?

I am assuming you had liposuction. I also don't know when you had your procedure. I would based on you photos and comments suggest massage and time will be best. Check with your plastic surgeon for a more accurate answer.

Stephen M. Davis, MD, FACS
Green Hills Plastic Surgery