Is it normal to be charged for a capsulotomy for your second breast augmentation? No complications from previous.

I had an apt to begin planning for my re-do, all I want is to be bigger. I haven't had any complications etc. I had my first BA in September 2015. So do most surgeons charge for just another breast augmentation or a breast augmentation + a capsulotomy? Just wondering because I assumed it would just be for another augmentation since I assumed they would basically be doing the same thing?

Is it normal to be charged for a capsulotomy for your second breast augmentation?

Thank you for your question.  Surgeons will vary with regards to their fees for revision and will depend on surgeon experience, region, extent of work or whether it's a previous patient or another surgeon's patient.  In my practice, I do not charge more than the initial breast augmentation for my previous patients.  Be sure to get an explanation from the surgeon's office about the pricing for the work done.  Best of luck.

Breast implant exchange - is a capsulotomy always charged for

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

• Every surgery has a different pricing approach -
  • I personally do not charge  more than a breast augmentation when exchanging implants -
  • Ask your surgeon's office to explain and see if they can help you on the price.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Redo breast implant fees

The fee structure that each plastic surgeon charges may not be the same across the board. With our patients, if the patient would like to go bigger in the first year we charge a small fee for my time, the implants, the operating room and the anesthesia at full fee. if I have not operated on the patient in the past, then to me, this is just a new breast augmentation and is charged accordingly. Hopefully this is helpful to you and good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Pricing reaugment

I discount my fee for repeat patients who choose to return to my practice for additional surgery. However, when seeing someone else's patient for a secondary procedure, the fee will be higher.

Robert L. Kraft, MD, FACS

New implants

In my office we just charge for a breast augmentation/exchange.We do not charge for capsuotomy, which would make the pocket larger. I would look around your area and get prices from multiple surgeons, but don't base your choice solely on price. You may want to call your surgeon back, and ask "Why?". He will probably be willing to do it without the extra charge.
Good luck,

Greg Sexton, M.D.
Columbua, S.C.

Gregory Sexton, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Implant exchange

Thank you for your question. I would guess you will get several different opinions.   It wouldn't be unusual to charge something if you desire to change the size of your implants. I'm not sure why you would be getting charged for  a capsulotomy. In my practice I normally wouldn't charge the same surgeons fee for an implant exchange as for a primary augmentation. However, you would be responsible for the cost of implants and anesthesia.   Hope this helps.

Dr. Rast

Jon E. Rast, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Extra charge for capsulotomy?

Each surgeon will have their own policy for this, but it is my practice to not charge for a capsulotomy for a simple implant exchange.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon