How long for Botox to start taking effect?

I had Botox injected into the glabella 3 days ago and I still have full movement. There is no change at all. I had Dysport once in the same area and it began to work very quickly. I noticed a slight effect the next day, and by day 3 there was complete paralysis and I could not wrinkle my brow. I know that Dysoort tends to work more quickly than Botox, but I was expecting at least a little muscle paralysis at this point.

3-5 Days for Botox Effect

Botox typically takes effect anywhere from 3-5 days following treatment; with maximum efficacy apparent at 2 weeks. I recommend that you schedule a 2 week follow-up appointment with your physician so that he or she can evaluate your treatment results at that time.  In my practice, I always like to see my patient at the 2 week mark after the first treatment to ensure optimum dose and placement, and to perform any necessary touch-up.

Washington Dermatologic Surgeon

How long for Botox results?

Patients typically begin to see results anywhere from 3-7 days post injection, and up to 14 days to see full results per manufacturer's label.

Botox

Usually the results of Botox are seen about 1 week after the injections. Some patients see full results sooner and others see the results somewhat later. Give it another week to determine the effects. Follow up with your physician if you do not see good results.

How long until Botox works

Hello Jcatgrl,

That is an excellent question.  When inject my patients I tell them on average that you will start to see some effects around day 3 reaching maximum effect around day 7-10 and lasting for about 3 months.  There are some people who notice a benefit within a few hours.  It is not clear whether this is actually the Botox working that quickly or just trauma to the muscle from the injection. 

If this is your first time to receive Botox, the dose may not have been high enough.  I recommend 20 units the first time I inject the glabella if the patient has never been injected.  But on some people it can take up to 50 units (my wife took 40 units the first time I injected her).  A rule of thumb with Dysport is that it takes 2.5 times as much Dysport.  So if you had 50 units of Dysport then to get a comparable result the injector should have used 20 units of Botox.  This is not a hard and fast rule so if after a week you haven't noticed the result you want, go back in for a touch up.  For the next treatment in 3 months just add your treatment from 3 days ago to any touch ups to know your final dose. 

In summary, you may see a result this early but give it at least a week.  If you still aren't happy then go back in for a touch up. 

I hope this helps and good luck. 

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

The 7-10 day rule

Botox should take full effect within 7 to 10 days. If it does not, you may need more. Be sure to find a highly credentialed injector who has has a lot of experience. You may require more units to see maximum result.

The effects will start to appear in 3-4 days and you will see maximum benefit in 2 weeks after the injections. There are some patients that can take up to 30 days to see maximum benefit but this is not very common. The effect will last 4-6 months. Occasionally, there is no improvement and another form of treatment may be required (1-2% do not respond at all). Over time, some patients (3-5%) may develop resistance to repeated uses of toxin injection or the effect may not last as long as previous treatments. Hope this helps.

Alim R. Devani, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologist

Hello!  Thank you for your question!  Typically, one will begin to see effects within 2-3 days. Usually, full effects are seen within a week. If after that time noe effect is seen, consideration for touch-up is reasonable.  As a neuromodulator that inhibits reuptake of acetylcholine and the nerve junction, BoTox will continue to work until it wears off at the site. There is no limit to how long one can receive it, but it generally lasts for about 3-4 months on average.  Best wishes!  Hope that this helps!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Botox and Dysport Time to Action

It takes 7-14 days to see the full effect of neuromodulators.  I suggest getting treatment well before you want the effect to be in place and if you need a touch up or not.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Botox

Thanks for your question. I usually tell my patients that the final result of Botox will be apparent in 8-10 days.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

How long before results from Botox?

Thanks for your question. Botox starts to take effect in 3-5 days, but doesn't reach its maximum effect for two weeks. Dysport is packaged differently on a molecular level which allows it to have a quicker onset. The trade-off is that it tends to diffuse further through the tissue so there's less control over its effects. Give it some time before considering getting a touch-up.

Robert S. Schmidt, MD
College Station Facial Plastic Surgeon