Should i get liposuction or consult my doctor about weight loss surgery? (photos)

im 19 and i use to weigh 316 and now im at 286 and ive cut back eating and exercise at the least 4 times a week but i need extra help i have tried many diets and products for weight loss but my hangover tummy will not get any small and i have had one since the 4th grade i was supposed to get a tummy tuck but i was to scared the kids at school would bully me even more but i should had taken my chances because now I really cant do alot of things because it sits on the majority or my lap

Should i get liposuction or consult my doctor about weight loss surgery

Thank you for your question. Liposuction is not appropriate surgery at this time and it is not a weight loss surgery. I recommend you to loose weight by diet and exercise and if not possible consult with bariatric surgeon for evaluation.

Wt loss surgery

Liposuction is not right for you right now. You need to lose weight first before considering any type of surgery to improve the contour.

Weight loss before surgery

Thank you for your question.  Many patients struggle to achieve their optimal weight despite diet and exercise. However, to reduce your risks during surgery and ensure optimal results it's important to maintain a healthy, well-balanced diet to prepare for surgery. I would recommend you to reach an stable weight within the safe range with a BMI lower than 30.  The closer you are to your ideal weight before surgery the better your result will be. If you can´t lose any more weight with exercise then you should consider a bariatric surgeon and a nutritionist. After you have reached your ideal weight you should have a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to get the best plan for you. Don´t settle for less! 

Liposuction Candidate and Weight Loss

You really need weight loss before considering tummy tuck and liposuction/full body contouring.  I suggest a bariatric surgeon and nutritionist.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Liposuction or further weight loss?

I commend you on your weight loss.  If you have hit a plateau you might want to consider a nutritional consultant or personal trainer for help.  Though those are expensive, so is surgery.  Additionally you are not a candidate for liposuction alone as the excess tissue in your lower abdomen will leave you with a severe overhang.  Once the weight is lost, you would very likely be a candidate for a tummy tuck.  See a board certified plastic surgeon in your area and discuss these options with them.  Very likely they will be able to place you in contact with the right people for your weight loss goals.Good luck.

Shayne Webb, MD

Should i get liposuction or consult my doctor about weight loss surgery?

Liposuction is not a weight loss tool. It is simply to help treat stubborn areas of concentrated fat and to help contour. To even consider elective cosmetic surgery, a maximum BMI of 30 is generally required. Being 19, and 286, I would advise you to meet with a doctor regarding a healthy diet and exercise program that can produce safe results. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck versus weight loss

You should see a board certified plastic surgeon for an in person consultation.  Based on your pictures and weight Iisted, you probably will benefit from weight loss prior to any plastic surgery.  Liposuction is not a weight loss procedure and will not address your weight and extra skin problems.  You have extra skin in addition to excess weight and you would do better to lose weight and then reassess. Good luck.

Andrew Freel, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction is not the answer

Congratulations on the change and recent weight loss. I would continue as you are to see if you can make further progress and to investigate bariatric surgery if all else fails. Liposuction is best used as a contouring procedure and not for weight loss. If you were to get down closer to the lower 200s then you would be a much better candidate for a tummy tuck which eventually could be the answer.

Christopher J. Ewart, MD
Augusta Plastic Surgeon