Would an implant balance my face and recessed chin? (photo)

Would a chin implant alone balance my profile or do I also need neck liposuction? I have large saliva glands in my neck and understand that I cannot change that. Last question is about scarring. I get horrible keloid scars and worry about under chin scar.

Recessed Chin

Your photograph suggests that you would benefit from a chin implant to strengthen and define your jawline.  You actually do seem to have quite a bit of submental fat, which can be removed with minimally invasive facial liposuction. Since you seem to be quite young, your skin should be elastic enough that it will need no intervention to adapt to its new shape.  A chin implant will give you a stronger yet still feminine profile. The combination of these two procedures is the easiest and most effective way of giving you a sleeker and stronger profile that harmonizes with your natural beauty.

Chin implants are easy to insert under local anesthesia.  A very small incision is made and there is very little downtime.  Since you’re concerned about keloids, I can injection the incision site with 5FU (Fluorouracil) as a preventative measure.

Chin implants generally last a lifetime.  Overwhelmingly, they will never have to be changed out.  However, because a patient's body changes with time and age, they sometimes decide to remove an implant or switch it out for another size. This is easy to do with silicone and that's what I recommend.

Recessed Chin

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Would an implant balance my face and recessed chin?

Thanks for your question. Yes, a chin implant would certainly help. But for the best outcome, I would also recommend liposuction of your neck, tightening of the platysma muscle, and removal of any resultant loose skin. The change would be beautiful and really bring out the best in your face. Obviously, you would have to balance this against your concern about abnormal scarring. Work with a specialist in facial cosmetic surgery to get the best results.

Good luck,

Dr. Shah

Good luck,

Dr. Shah

What's best for a small chin and a full neck

Certainly bringing your chin point forwards would better balance your face in profile view. Ideally the chin should be somewhere near a point dropped directly down from your lower lip, and I can see yours is quite a way back from this.

Have you had orthodontics? The reason I ask is that there are 3 main ways to bring your chin forwards (in order of complexity);

1. Implant - I use Medpore with 2 small screws to fix it in place, usually through an incision inside the mouth, but sometimes under the chin through the skin.

2. Sliding genioplasty - where the bone of just the chin is cut and brought forward and held in the new position with plates and screws.

3. BSSO (Bilateral Sagittal Split Osteotomy) - bringing the whole lower jaw forwards. This of course will move the whole of the tooth-bearing bone forwards (including the teeth) so you'd need a period of orthodontics (braces) to set your teeth up so that when they are moved they give you a perfect occlusion (bite).

With regard to your neck, you look young and your neck region would respond better than someone older to liposuction because your skin is likely to 'take-up' or retract relatively well after the fat is removed. You may benefit from an anterior neck lift and platysmaplasty too though to create more of a right-angle between your neck and chin. To further tighten this area, a short-scar facelift offers tightening from the side also.

Chin implant and liposuction

A chin implant will definitely help balance your profile, making your nose appear smaller and your jawline more defined.  To improve definition, I would suggest adding liposuction to your neck.  The incision is very small.  In my experience, this is an area that usually scars well.  Good luck!  

Melissa Doft, MD

Chin implant and liposuction

Melissa Doft, MD

Hi, I have performed many facial shaping procedures, including Chin Augmentation with dermal fillers or silastic chin implants, for over the 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is very weak ad there is excess fat and skin below the chin.  When the chin is weak, this creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy, the lower face looks short, de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a "double chin".  

I place the silastic implant through a small curved incision under the chin, that will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.  Using the same incision, liposuction can be performed to reduce the fat and further shape the neck.  Excess skin, from below the chin, can also be removed through the same incision.  

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.  Keloids would be very rare in a submental incision.  Placing chin implants through the mouth allows for upward migration of the chin implant and for that reason should not be done in my humble opinion.

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps.

Chin Implant

In person evaluation is the most important thing you can do for proper evaluation and plan of surgery.

Must evaluate your bite. evaluate the mandible and maxilla. this will help decide whether chin implant is the ideal or sliding osteotomy, or even mandibular surgery.

Then evaluate in person if the fat in the neck is under the skin or both under the skin and under the muscle.

It is important not to over resect all the fat which results in major problems of the neck.

A decision as whether you really need a neck lift with platysmaplasty.

Then have to consider the issue of keloid.

Chin Implant

What to do About a Recessed Chin

Hi and thanks for your photo and question.  A large chin implant would make a great difference, but there is still the issue of a very full, neck/submentum.  Optimally, you would address this also.  I believe that a traditional facelift with submental fat removal and a platysmaplasty would be the best way to take care of the neck issues. I don't think that just doing liposuction to the submentum alone would give the best result.  If you look at patients 3 and 9 in the web reference below, you will see what I mean.  Good luck. Dr. Pontell

Jonathan Pontell, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

What to do About a Recessed Chin

Jonathan Pontell, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Recessed chin

Shinapen,

Thanks for your question and picture.  I think that a combination of chin implant and liposuction would give you a better result than the chin implant alone.  To get the most improvement in your jaw line and neck like, you would need a face/neck lift, as the liposuction treats the fat, but it does not remove or tighten skin.  I think that the amount of excess skin you have in your neck is beyond the capabilities of non-invasive skin tightening procedures.  For keloid scars, close follow-up with your surgeon is best, as we can treat enlarging scars with steroids or steroid mixed with 5-fluorouracil to keep them at bay.  Good luck!

Recessed chin

Shinapen,

From the one very limited photograph, there is a significant recessive chin profile present along with fatty deposits located above and below the platysma muscle.  A chin implant can be placed for patients who have a weak  and recessive chin profile to give further projection to the chin to help with facial balance and proportions. The fatty deposits in the neck are going to  need to be removed with surgery, since there's a significant component of fat underneath the muscle. In our practice, we perform a neck lift procedure which involves removal of fatty deposits above and below the platysma muscle in addition to a platysma plasty which significantly improves the jawline. Liposuction cannot remove the fatty deposits  below the platysma muscle. A small amount of sub-maxillary salivary glands can also be removed as well to help improve the jawline. It's very rare to get keloid scars underneath the chin. This is a very difficult surgery,  so choose your surgeon wisely based on extensive experience producing natural results. For more information and many examples of this combination, please see the link and the video below

Recessed chin?

Without an exam your question cannot be answered.  You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision: Candidates for Chin Augmentation - Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation

#weakchin #chinimplant

Recessed chin?

#weakchin #chinimplant