Is Ideal Image nurse practitioner qualified to do Kybella?

Nurse Practitioner and Kybella

Kybella is an advanced injection technique. In some states, a nurse practitioner may be legally able to perform the injection. There is a potential for serious complications with Kybella. You should consult with an experienced and expert physician injector to understand your options. 

Who Is Qualified to Inject Kybella?

It depends on the state. In California, nurses can inject Kybella. I don't know about North Carolina. You could check the Kybella website. Just make sure that you go to someone who has a lot of experience injecting Kybella. Skill matters.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Kybella and Qualified Injector

In NYC currently only physicians are injecting this permanent facial injection but the laws are changing in states.  I would only have a certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon inject Kybella.  I have been treating many patients with Kybella and since it has only been out since 2015 you need to find someone with a great deal of experience.  Best, Dr. Green

Kybella injector

Thank you for your question andreapaskow. Kybella is the first and, thus far, only non-surgical injectable treatment for the double chin. Laws regarding injectors vary from state to state. In California doctors, physicians assistants, nurse practitioners, and nurses are allowed to perform such injections. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Nurse practitioner qualifications for Kybella Injections

Many practitioners may be qualified to give Kybella based on individual state laws. Allergan, the company that owns Kybella, began training programs for Kybella injections at the end of 2015...only about a year ago. This means that Kybella injections are a relatively new procedure to all of us. Medical doctors, nurses and nurse practitioners all trained together and gained our certification through the parent company based on it's safety guidelines. There are also ongoing advanced Kybella trainings for those of us who have been injecting for a while. Ask about your practitioner's training and look at their pictures. Most doctors were trained by nurses and nurse practitioners so all may be excellent injectors.    

Who is qualified to inject Kybella

That is a great question.  In my office, only an MD performs the injection- and I would recommend a "core" trained MD such as Dermatology, Facial plastic or plastic surgery.  It is best to consult with someone who can perform the various procedures and is experienced in the anatomy of the neck.  These "core" physicians are in the best position to evaluate you and help you consider the alternatives.  Simply being licensed to give an injection in any given state and taking a 1 hour course is not enough in my opinion to fully prepare your treating provider to give you the best and the safest result.  There is judgement involved as to whether you are a good candidate, the proper sequence of injections, where the nerves and possible "danger areas" are located, and how to tailor the injection to give the best results.  I was at a recent course where non core providers did not even know about basic anatomy such as submandibular glands and platysma bands that might impact your treatment and results.  So, its up to you and your comfort level.  

Jonathan Hall, MD

Great injectors come with different credentials

Great question. The truth is that there are many great injectors who are nurses or non-core specialist physicians, like myself. As a matter of fact, most of the trainers in the industry are nurses and not physicians. The truth is that whoever is doing aesthetics all day, every day (like myself) will become experienced and excellent at what they do. In fact, a plastic surgeon or dermatologist who does injections only once/week or less (as many do) will not be as skilled. So ask your injector how often they inject and how long they have been doing it. If you have a relationship with her and trust her, she's the right one to take care of you.

Katherine Dee, MD
Seattle Physician

They are qualified if they are trained to use the product.

On the other hand, it will be difficult for the nurse to provide an informed consent for you because they are a surgeon and can't engage in the appropriate discussion of Kybella vs liposuction.  You should want to know if Kybella is your best option and how does it compare to alternative treatment.

Varies from State to State

All procedures in our office are performed by board certified dermatologists.  We do not employ nurse practitioners nor physician assistants in our office, therefore, we are not familiar with the state education department guidelines regarding policies and procedures for Nurse Practitioners.  I hope this information has been  helpful to you.

Roy G. Geronemus, MD

Who is qualified to do cosmetic injections?

You'll get numerous answers in this forum; however, it is my opinion that ONLY "core", board certified PHYSICIANS (facial plastic surgery, plastic surgery, dermatology, oculoplastic surgery) should be performing cosmetic injections.  This is because we have the best understanding of facial anatomy and the most in depth training in use of these products.  Additionally, we can manage most any complication that may result from the injection of these products.  I hope this answers your question, and good luck moving forward with your procedure.  Kybella is an excellent product.   

Parker A. Velargo, MD
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon