How long until I can lift 20+ lbs again? Am 1 mo out from surgery! Very excited. Only concern is I have twins that are nearly 3.

How how long until I can lift them again?

Lifting after breast augmentation surgery…

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure. Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to returning to specific activities. He/she will know exactly what was done, how you are progressing, and exactly what type of activities you are returning to. 

Having said that,  in my practice, I would ask that you avoid lifting 20 pounds for at least two weeks (preferably three);  in other words, it is best to utilize all your available "help" and use good body mechanics when you "have to do what you have to do".

Generally, I suggest patients gradually ease back into the strenuous aerobic exercise 4 to 6 weeks postoperatively, assuming that they are doing well and there have been no complications. Lower body exercise can generally be resumed 2 weeks postoperatively.  In my practice, I ask patients to avoid contact and strenuous exercise involving the pectoralis major muscles ( such as push-ups, bench press, burpees, dancing on a pole…) for at least 3-6 months. 

It will be important for you to return to activities in a very gradual/cautious fashion.  Again, "listen to your body" as you do so. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Lifting more than 20 lbs after breast augmentation surgery

Congratulations on your recent augmentation surgery!  I generally ask my patients to wait 2-3 weeks before lifting over 20 lbs, however, everyone heals differently.  I like for my patients to listen to their bodies, and lift only what is comfortable using correct body mechanics.  If you feel pulling or pain when lifting, waiting a little longer is what I would advise.  Please check with your surgeon before doing any lifting or exercise.  

After breast implants, when can I lift my 20 pound child?

It's always best to check with your surgeon about his or her protocol. I advise my patients with toddlers that they can lift them on the third day after breast augmentation surgery if needed to transfer to high chair, car seat, or crib. They will probably be more comfortable carrying their child for longer periods of time not sooner than 14 days. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Lifting 20 pounds.

This is an excellent question and it may depend on what was done and the size of your breast implants. I suggest you speak with your plastic surgeon who knows how well you have been healing. 

Best wishes, Dr. ALDO

Lifting 20 pounds.

Best wishes, Dr. ALDO

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

I appreciate your question.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

Lifting after breast augmentation

Thanks for your inquiry, ideally you need to get clearance from your doctor because everyone heals differently.  I personally reduce activity restrictions as I see each patient in follow up.  Typically, my patients are lifting 20 pounds by one month, but some patients may have an issue that makes me be more conservative.   

Lifting after breast augmentation

How long until I can lift 20+ lbs again? Am 1 mo out

When you can lift that much will depend on a few things, most importantly whether your implants are under or over the muscle. It's best to ask your surgeon as only they'll know exactly what was done. Hope that helps! 

Weight limits for lifting following breast augmentation

Thank you for this wonderful question! Typically at one month post-operative from a standard breast augmentation I allow my patients to start easing back into their normal vigorous routine including exercise and lifting 20+ pounds. It is important to follow up with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon as he/she will have a post-operative recovery plan tailored to your specific needs. Congratulations! I do hope you have found this information helpful and I wish you luck!