Silicone breast implants. Do you believe that is the cause me suffering from Costochondritis?

I have breast implants and they were placed behind the muscle. Do you believe that is the cause me suffering from Costochondritis?

Costochondritis from breast implants

Costochondritis  is an unusual but not entirely uncommon condition. It can happen in people without breast implants . The risk of getting this inflammatory condition is not increased by breast implants. Your best option is to see your primary care physician and be placed on a course of anti-inflammatories.

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but  also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, Actually the perkiness on a person or another, depends on patients skin and breast tissue… Breast augmentation surgery increases or restores breast size using silicone gel implants, saline implants or in some cases, fat transfer. One of the most popular and frequently performed aesthetic surgery procedures, breast augmentation has a long and successful track record in satisfying women who wish to enhance, regain or restore balance to their figures.

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Thanks for your inquiry.  Costochondritis is inflammation of the cartilage that connects the bony ribs to the sternum (breast bone).  It is a common condition that can be caused by many things. I have seen it patients that have had breast implants for a long time or that are ruptured.  Please discuss with your primary care doctor.  

Costochondritis is a fairly common condition causing inflammation in the ribcage. It happens in patients with breast implants and in women without implants. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication like ibuprofen will alleviate the pain and most patients will need to take it for several weeks. Check with your PCP or plastic surgeon.Silicone implants do not increase your risks for costochondritis. 

With the tightness of implants under the muscle and the changes in deep breathing that may initially occur following a breast augmentation it is possible to develop costrochondritis.  The silicone itself does not contribute to the inflammation.  It is a mechanics of breathing issue.  The ribs flex or move in the joints along the sternum and if the movements are changed by the recent addition of the implant it can result in inflammation.  Good news is the symptoms should resolve as the muscle stretches and the mechanics return to baseline.  Try some NSAIDS and be patient.  Be sure to talk to your surgeon about the discomfort.  Best wishes!

Levi J. Young, MD
Overland Park Plastic Surgeon

Hello mblanco,
I am sorry to hear you are hurting in your chest.  It is possible that the implants are contributing to the inflammation in your chest/breastbone; however, not because silicone is leaking out or the implant material is hurting your body.  More than likely the pressure and motion from the implants are contributing to inflammation that you are pre-disposed to.  I would consider a week of NSAIDs and taping or securing your breasts with a support bra to lessen the motion of the implants.  Hang in there!

Hunter Moyer, MD

Cause of costochondritis

In my experience, most of the costochondritis that I see is more related to a repetitive motion of the arm involving the chest. In fact, at the end of most summers, I have costochondritis from playing golf and do not have breast implants. While I do think that the sub muscular pocket can make for a few weeks of soreness near the breastbone, it's not a true inflammation of the cartilage itself. In most instances, after a few weeks of NSAID's these inflammatory reactions will subside. Best of luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS