Could Sculptsure lasers be placed too tightly?

I had a Sculptsure treatment on my flanks and belly. The 'belt' was placed very tightly around my hips and that caused my fat to be pushed higher and lower than the belt. The lasers were placed on the belt. Just like when I wear a 5 inch wide belt with a dress and cinch it tight, The fat is displaced. Could this have affected the success of my session. I'm seeing no change after 9 weeks.

SculSure positioning

SculpSure plates are applied on the skin with the aid of a belt. This belt is supposed to be on very very thigh without pinching your skin. This will create a fat-skin pillow which makes the contact with the laser plates. The key here is to have 1000% contact for optimal treatment.

Sculpsure belts

Sculpsure belts are meant to be tight around the treatment area to ensure proper positioning of the applicators.  The frames typically will have some fat protruding to make little "pillows" of fat.  The target area is within the frames and there is some treatment of the fat around the targeted areas.  The treatment removes only 24% of the fat - additional treatments can be performed to rid of more fat. 

Jennifer Parker Porter, MD, FACS
Bethesda Facial Plastic Surgeon

Belt needs to be secure

The belt needs to be secure in its placement to keep the heads from slipping
The treatment works best under the laser heads, but there is some feathering of the laser treatment above, below, and around.

Thank you for your question. The SculpSure applicator belt is too be applied snug to the skin to allow for the best and even contact. Occasionally this may pinch the skin but it should not affect the success of the procedure.

Was the SculptSure laser placed too tight?

The belt is supposed to be tight in order to prevent any movement of the applicator paddles during the treatment. Therefore it sounds as if your procedure was done properly. Results with one treatment can seem somewhat subtle. It is usually best to plan on more than one treatment at any given site in order to obtain more visible results.

This is a great question!

SculpSure is wonderful technology, a laser that melts fat in 25 minutes without any pain!   But, I would agree with you, the most discomfort my patients have complained about is the belt that is placed to hold the applicator brackets in place. I have been in communication with Cynosure (the parent company of SculpSure) about changing their belts from cloth to something more elastic, stretchable and more comfortable.  Also, the applicators will shift when going from a standing to a lying or sitting position, so it is possible they missed the target area.  I would contact your provider, you will probably need a second session of SculpSure.

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

SculpSure treatment frame placement

Thank you for your question. Often times, when performing SculpSure, the belt needs to be placed somewhat tightly to ensure that the "pillows" of fat are raised up a bit so that the treatment frames make excellent contact. If you felt the rolling heating and cooling during the process, then chances are you are fine. With SculpSure, depending on the patient, it may take up to a full three months to see results. Most patients begin to see some slight changes, at around 6 weeks, but not all. If you have any concerns, I suggest speaking with the office or person who performed the treatment. My practice is to take pre- and after-procedure photos, as well as measurements of the treated area; SculpSure results can be subtle and difficult to see day-to-day. Photos can help really show your results - especially when compared side by side. Best of luck! 

Belt issues with sculpsure

It depends.  The sculpsure belt should be placed and cinched so as to optomize the exposure of target fat within the belt frames.  Certainly a belt cinched too tight could potentially squeeze target fat away from the treatment region.  You want to see your target fat mushrooming up withing the belt windows.  Also please note the sculpsure treatment does include surrounding fat tissue in about a 2-3 cm circumferential direction.  So, when you have your next treament, just make sure to verify the belt is in the right place.  Good luck, I hope is goes well!

SculpSure belt and applicator

Thank you for your question. The belt for the SculpSure applicator is meant to be tight enough so that it does not move. The SculpSure laser sends heat to the area under the applicator template as well as beyond it, so it should have been able to reach the fat that was pushed higher and lower. This will not have a negative effect on your treatment. 

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Hi Mtg0821,

The belt must be tight during your SculpSure treatment. It will not "displace" the fat. The fat pillows in to the treated area where the applicators are placed. You may need a second treatment. I would recommend following up with your provider at 12 weeks, the before and after photos may surprise you.

Best to you, Dr Faraz