Very painful procedure, painful sex, no results. Is any of this normal?

Dear Doctor, I had my first treatment last week. Within minutes of the procedure I was in pain. The instrument was placed to a 10 position and I was informed that it was how it had to be. Also the movement of the instrument was extremely rapid - and painful - bumping me inside. When I finally had sex it was too painful. I have lost my bladder control a number of times. HELP.

Is it normal that my thermiva procedure hurt?

Its not normal for a thermiva procedure to hurt.  It sounds like it was inserted too deeply and the movement was too aggressive. Any office procedure including thermiva needs to be tailored to what the patient can tolerate.  It sounds like you did not get good care. 
I do tell my patients if they did notice any improvement after the first thermiva treatment that a second one is not a good idea.  You should have some positive results so you know you are on the right track.  That said, its possible that the technician isn't well trained.  You should get a physical examination.   Good luck! 

ThermiVA and Results

This is NOT normal and likely needs to be evaluated by your physician.  This should be performed by a reputable office and it sounds like you need to see another practice.  Please get evaluated.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Pain during and after ThermiVa

Thank you for your post. Your experience is not typical. You should make your provider is aware of your experience during the treatment and your current complaints. This will help both of you and other women they treat.

If your treating provider is not a gynecologist or pelvic floor expert then he/she will likely not have a clue as to why you're have lost bladder control and have had painful sex. If this is the case, then make an appointment with your gyn.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

ThermiVa is a procedure that should not hurt.

ThermiVa is a procedure that should not hurt.  It should be a comfortable procedure.  Ask for an explanation as to why from the Physician performing or supervising the procedure.  If you do not get an adequate explanation get another opinion from an experienced Physician.  

Painful anything with ThermiVa is not normal

Hello and I hope you're feeling better

Thank you for sharing your concerns and experience.  None of what you describe is how a ThermiVa experience should be for a patient and is concerning.  The average depth of a vagina is 8 to 9 and it sounds like your procedure was in consistent contact with your cervix, which could be the cause of your pain and discomfort.  I would advise that you communicate with the providing practice to be sure they’re aware, however I may also recommend you consider consulting with your OB/GYN specialist and other practices to be sure you’re provided the best care.

I’m very sorry to learn that you had this experience with ThermiVa.

Jenn Harrington, MD

ThermiVa

Your experience is not typical.  The procedure is normally very tolerable and does not produce the symptoms you described.  I would speak with the office who performed the procedure.

Camille Cash, MD

Painful procedure

ThermiVa should never hurt or cause painful sex. It would be a good recommendation for you to go get an exam by a reputable doctor.  Report your experience to the practice, so they can make the necessary precautions to keep it from happening again.

Painful ThermiVa treatment

That is definitely not the normal experience.  I have had some patients describe some discomfort during the procedure, but we then tailor the procedure to their comfort level.  Every patient is different.  It is important to have a physician who listens to you and is actively involved in your evaluation and treatment.  I'm so sorry you had a bad experience with the treatment.  We have been very excited by the results and patient satisfaction with our ThermiVa.

Adam Lokeh, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon