Ectropion after blepharoplasty. Any suggestions? (photos)

I am 1 week out my blepharoplasty. I have ectropion I think it is called. My lower lids are retracted. See photo. What are the chances this will "settle down" and correct itself? Thank you

Post-Op Ectropion

In some patients, potentially due to pre-existing lower eyelid laxity combined with skin and fat removal or downward traction on the lid as a result of lower eyelid blepharoplasty, an ectropion can develop. From the photograph, you do appear to have a right greater than left ectropion with eyelid retraction, however, it is too early in the course of your recovery to determine whether this is a permanent change. Post-operative edema can sometimes contribute to this appearance. I would advise frequent icing and evaluation by an oculoplastic surgeon as the swelling resolves.

New Rochelle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ectropion after blepharoplasty.

It is too early to know the chances of permanent ectropion after your lower blepharoplasty. At this time, you have to do conservative therapy for 3 months (including eyelid massage, squinting exercises, and lubricating eye drop).  See an oculoplastic specialist too.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

You do indeed have early extropion..  Your surgeon should see you and will likely recommend massage and or tape or suture support of your eyelid margin, to help prevent this eyelid position from becoming a permanent problem. It should settle down with these treatments, if addressed early.

John Dean, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon