Is my Botox too diluted, or do I just not respond well?

I go to an injector attached to a reputable plastic surgeon in my area. They run specials every 3 months for $10 per unit Botox. I require approximately 35 units for horizontal forehead lines glabella and bunny lines. A few weeks before the special rolls around, I find myself in need of a retouch. I see others getting Botox every 6 months. Am I just not as sensitive to Botox as others, or should I be researching a different injector?

Most people enjoy the results of their treatments for 3-4 months

Thank you for your question fairchilde. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with  facial expressions. Most people enjoy the results of their treatments for 3-4 months. However some people enjoy their results for a shorter period of time such as two months, while others enjoy their results for up to twelve months. Sometimes if higher doses are used the patient will enjoy the results for a longer period of time. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Encino Physician

Botox Results

Thank you for your question. Every person responds differently to Botox injections, just as results will vary from patient to patient. A lot of med-spas offer promotions for Botox, as an example, $10/unit is very common in Southern California. Dermal fillers, though more expensive often have longer lasting results. I would discuss your concerns with your PS so he may able to recommend a better long lasting treatment.

Kamran Azad, MD
Pasadena Physician

Botox not lasting long enough

It is important to understand that there are variation of facial musculature among patients, and that patients respond differently after Botox treatment. Some patients may notice results lasting longer or shorter than is expected. My best advice is to always seek treatment with someone who is a true injectable specialist. This is your best way to optimize your outcomes. Good luck!

Ryan Greene, MD, PhD
Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Beware of bargains

Botox has had more price increases to physicians than any other product. Less expensive Botox can mean illegally imported and cheaper material, or some sort of "loss leader" where they give Botox at low prices to get you in the door and convert you to a surgery patient if you get less than optimal results.I always feel best results are seen when a board certified and reputable dermatologist or plastic does the actual injection. Try another derm or PS with a good reputation who doesn't give these "specials" and see if the result lasts longer. At least 3 months is the minimum.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Forehead Wrinkles -- Botox, Lasers, Fillers, Needling

Botox, fillers and lasers work in combination for this area. Botox for the movement lines, fillers for deep lines that remain at rest and needling/lasers for complexion, glands, smoothness of this area. If botox wasnt successful i would try dysport or xeomin. Please see an expert. Best, Dr. Emer.

Fresh Botox

The amount of botox you are receiving for the forehead appears about right and over time, like the fourth- fifth  botox session, clients have a change in the confluence of their wrinkles and subsequently the interval between botox sessions lengthen. You may also want to consider trying a new injector or asking that  a recently reconstituted botox vial be used for your botox session.

Botox should last about 3-4 months after injection with the proper number of units. If you're getting almost three months of benefit then your injector might consider adding another few units in both areas but I would say you're pretty close to an optimal result. Best.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Too Diluted or Not Enough Botox!?

Smart question! Doctors dilute Botox differently. There is a "standard" way to dilute Botox, but it's more important that you know the number of units you received than the specific dilution. 20 units for the glabella, 10 units for the forehead, and 5 units for the bunny lines sounds reasonable. You may be a person who needs a little bit more than 35 units. Consider trying that solution. Or perhaps the Botox was not fresh? Allergan (the company who makes Botox) recommends that it be used within 24 hours of reconstitution. Having said all that, a 3-month duration is within normal limits. It is true that for some it lasts 6 months, but everyone differs in 1) how much they animate and hence would need the next Botox injection and 2) how their body reacts to and metabolizes Botox. 

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Thank you for your question.  It sounds as if you are in the greater norm of the patient population receiving 3-4 months of results with Botox versus the six months of others.  Each person metabolizes Botox differently so best to discuss your results with your injector and receive reassurance that your results are appropriate and that additional dosing is not needed. Hope this helps. 

Botox resistance

I doubt you are having any resistance to the Botox. there are 2 red herrings to my mind. first is that the injector is "attached" to the doctor. why are you not being injected by a doctor? Is it a nurse? an aesthetician???also, Botox is not like groceries and specials may be to get rid of old Botox. see a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon and be sure either the doctor or an experienced nurse under his direction is injecting you

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist