Am I a good candidate for a lip lift? (Photo)

I am actually quite happy with my lips and I have never used any fillers. But I am bothered by the space between my nose and upper lip. Would a lip lift improve this? Feel like I really need to smile big in order for my teeth to show while smiling. And then my upper lip disappears. I think this has become worse now that I am getting older. I am now 39 years old. Would fillers be able to help? Would you recommend a lip lift? Can it be done under local? Approx cost at your office?

Lip Lift

Thank you for your question. You should explore procedures that can shorten the distance between the upper lip and your nose. The surgery is not very invasive, and you should move forward with a consultation with a board certified facial plastic surgeon to learn more about your expectations.

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Upper Lip Shortening

You are the perfect candidate for upper lip shortening. It is a fact that bone loss occurs as we age and as the skin loses elasticity the skin sagging and support for the upper lip is compromised.  Upper lip shortening involves a small excision just beneath the nostrils and as the lip is lifted, more of the upper lip is exposed. This is a little known procedure that can make big changes.  

Gilbert Lee, MD

Am I a good candidate for a lip lift?

Hello miamimommy - Thanks for your question. An in-person exam is needed to best answer your question. But, looking at your photo, it seems as if your upper lip is vertically long. You may be a candidate for lip lift surgery using an incision under the base of the nose. Additionally, you might benefit from a mucosal advancement to show more upper lip at rest and with smiling. These procedures can be performed under local anesthesia in an office-setting, similar to a dental visit. Work with a facial cosmetic surgery specialist for the best results. 

Good luck, 

Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon