Will my Breasts grow back after a breast reduction?

I have heard a few stories of this happening. Is it very likely, assuming my weight stays stable, and I don't get pregnant?

Breasts can grow after breast reduction surgery

Yes, breast size can and does fluctuate with weight changes. They can also change significantly with pregnancy and breastfeeding. There is no way you or anyone can predict how pregnancy or breastfeeding can affect your YOUR breasts. It is always best to practice healthy eating habits and exercise regularly so it is more of a lifestyle and less likely to affect your long term results. Best wishes and kind regards, 

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question and congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; it is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

Although online consultants will not be able to predict whether or not your breasts will "grow again" in the future, most patients who undergo breast reduction surgery do not require additional reduction in the future. Best wishes. 

Thank you for your question. There are many misconceptions about breast reduction and what can or can not happen after surgery. 

When you gain #weight, some of the excess fat produced may go on your breasts. This means that even after breast reduction surgery, it is possible for your breasts to naturally grow larger. The best way to avoid this is to try to maintain a healthy and balanced diet, which should prevent you from gaining weight. Be sure that you are at a weight prior to surgery that you feel that you can reasonably maintain. Remember, excessive weight gain (and loss) can change the appearance of your breasts.

As for how much the breast changes during and after pregnancy, every woman is different. For some women their breasts do not enlarge much, if at all, with pregnancy. For others, the breasts grow significantly, often shrinking after pregnancy. Al so, a large number of women who undergo breast reduction surgery are still able to breastfeed later on. However, your #milk production may be limited due to the removal of some breast tissue. 

A breast reduction, the only permanent way to reduce the size of your chest, is great for removing excess fat, tissue and skin. An increase in breast size in adult women (aside from pregnancy) is due to an increase in fat, not breast tissue. Breast tissue that is removed, does not grow back in adult women. 

Breast growth after breast reduction

Hi Cheyennebaca! It is not often, but possible, to have your breasts change in size due to pregnancy and major weight gain. You should maintain your weight, workout, eat right, and just overall engage in a healthy lifestyle. However, there is no way to predict if your breasts will grow back as every body is different. I wish you the best of luck!

Peter Newen, MD

Breast growing back after reduction

Thanks for your question.  In my experience, this does not typically happen unless you gain a significant amount of weight or become pregnant.  However, none can predict what will happen with your body in the future as there are many factors to consider.  Best of luck to you.  

Jeffrey G. Lind II, MD
The Woodlands General Surgeon

Will my breasts grow back after a breast reduction?

If you aren't done growing before you have breast reduction surgery, your breasts could still get bigger. That's why you shouldn't have surgery until haven't grown in terms of breast size, weight and height for at least 2 years. If you are done growing, then the only things that could possibly change your surgical results would be weight gain and/or pregnancy. With pregnancy,  breasts could remain the same size, or get bigger, smaller and/or droopier. What happens to your breasts could change from pregnancy to pregnacy. Hope this information is helpful. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths." Good luck to you.

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Breasts grow back

this is possible but it is not frequent if you keep a stable weight and yu dont get pregnant, you should consider that your breast could need a lift which is much more possible as time goes by your skin and breast tissue become less firm. Best Wishes! 

Australia Fragoso-Baez, MD

Breast reduction

Although breasts increasing in size requiring a further reduction can occur this is usually associated with increase in weight / pregnancy. There are some medications that can also increase breast size but it is very rare.

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon