What are the alternatives to prescription pain killers after a breast reduction?

I am going to be having a breast reduction surgery, and I know that comes with some pain in my recovery. I am against taking prescription pain medication for personal reasons, and was wondering what else I can do or take to relieve post op pain. Thank you.

Breast Reduction Pain

You will have to check with your surgeon, but I prescribe Motrin and Tylenol combined for my breast patients; rarely do they need anything else.   Unfortunately, many surgeons don't want their patients taking Motrin before or after surgery in fear of increased bleeding, something I have not found to occur when taken after surgery. 

Alternatives to narcotics for pain control after breast reduction

One of the major advances in surgical pain control is the use of long-acting numbing agents such as Exparel. This blocks the pain for up to 3 days, at which point you are over the what would be the worst part. After that, tylenol and other medications can help. Make sure you discuss with your surgeon before using NSAID's such as ibuprofen.

Richard Baxter, MD

Alternatives to narcotics post-op

are available and as Dr. Pousti has mentioned, long acting nerve blocks and pain pumps would be the mainstay with use of anti-inflammatories and Tylenol as well.  You should let your surgeon know of your special needs and also realize that you may also have to simply tough it out.

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast reduction without narcotic pain medication

Congratulations on the decision to have a breast reduction surgery.  I assume you are talking about narcotic pain medications?  There are several non-narcotic options including NSAIDs such as Mobic or Celebrex.  I would discuss with your surgeon to see if they are familiar with another medication called Exparel that is a long acting local anesthetic.  There are also pain pumps that deliver local pain medication. 

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. Best to discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon to seeing what he/she will recommend.  Possible options would include use of nonnarcotic pain control medications, injectable long-lasting local anesthesia, postoperative pain control pump... Best wishes.